Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant pen

Old 03-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope you have success. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Spike

thanks, ill need it
Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just got back on the thread and need to comment after seeing what Oldtimr mentioned about pen size and getting a PM from him. According to what he mentioned the recommended size of the pen to raise birds should be 25 square feet per bird. The size you mentioned that you're planning is nowhere near big enough for 30 birds. Even if you double the length to 50' that still doesn't give the birds the room the pros say is needed. I think you could probably get away with one 12.5'x50' even though that doesn't quite meet what the pros say, but IMHO the size you're talking about is way too small to give all the birds any kind of sufficient room to remain healthy and be in good shape to release at 12 weeks. When birds are crowded they tend to fight and they also are more susceptible to various diseases that can wipe them out pretty quick. I would either double the size of your pen if you can afford the materials or cut the number of birds in half for your smaller pen size.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Just got back on the thread and need to comment after seeing what Oldtimr mentioned about pen size and getting a PM from him. According to what he mentioned the recommended size of the pen to raise birds should be 25 square feet per bird. The size you mentioned that you're planning is nowhere near big enough for 30 birds. Even if you double the length to 50' that still doesn't give the birds the room the pros say is needed. I think you could probably get away with one 12.5'x50' even though that doesn't quite meet what the pros say, but IMHO the size you're talking about is way too small to give all the birds any kind of sufficient room to remain healthy and be in good shape to release at 12 weeks. When birds are crowded they tend to fight and they also are more susceptible to various diseases that can wipe them out pretty quick. I would either double the size of your pen if you can afford the materials or cut the number of birds in half for your smaller pen size.

I have decided that I am going to raise until 8 weeks. that is what I meant when I said 30 birds, but thanks.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to go on the internet and read up on raising the birds. We've tried to give you some solid advice here and it appears you aren't listening. First off, pen size is very important. Second, the birds have a much better chance at survival if you raise them to 12 weeks of age. Third, the corn you say you're planning as their sole food source is not the route to go. You can get the mix you need at a decent feed mill and if they don't have pheasant specific bags of feed I have read that a turkey feed will suffice. You are going to a lot of work and going to some expense to do your project, so I would highly suggest that you do it right to give the birds a humane environment and chance at survival. We aren't talking about tiny little quail here. Pheasants are a big bird and need room and the proper diet to survive.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-06-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hope it works for you but I suspect you will have problems with crowding caused cannibalism.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never had the problem with cannibalism in my pen which was only 15 feet by 75 feet and had 50 pheasants in it. The problem I had was raccoons climbing my fence posts and chewing threw the netting on top of it. The bigger area may help you out that way. Those coons can wipe a pen out over night once they find a way into it. The other problem I had was trying to get them to nest on their own. They would build the nests alright and lay the eggs. Then they would just walk off and come back later to lay another egg ect.. They wouldn't lay on the nest. I am thinking it is because so much hatcher raised chicks had taken the nesting part out of them.. Anyways good luck with your project..
Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I never had the problem with cannibalism in my pen which was only 15 feet by 75 feet and had 50 pheasants in it. The problem I had was raccoons climbing my fence posts and chewing threw the netting on top of it. The bigger area may help you out that way. Those coons can wipe a pen out over night once they find a way into it. The other problem I had was trying to get them to nest on their own. They would build the nests alright and lay the eggs. Then they would just walk off and come back later to lay another egg ect.. They wouldn't lay on the nest. I am thinking it is because so much hatcher raised chicks had taken the nesting part out of them.. Anyways good luck with your project..
Phil---Your pen size would be pretty close to what Oldtimr mentioned is suggested. Three birds across the 15' width of the pen for each 5' of the 75' length would allow for 45 birds under the formula Oldtimr mentioned, so I can see why you wouldn't have had that problem with 50. Did you do anything at all with their beaks? By my math the boy shouldn't even have 15 birds in his 12.5'x25' pen.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-07-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-08-2016, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Phil---Your pen size would be pretty close to what Oldtimr mentioned is suggested. Three birds across the 15' width of the pen for each 5' of the 75' length would allow for 45 birds under the formula Oldtimr mentioned, so I can see why you wouldn't have had that problem with 50. Did you do anything at all with their beaks? By my math the boy shouldn't even have 15 birds in his 12.5'x25' pen.
No I never done a thing to them that way.. I even had roosts all over the pen for them as well. But those damn coons got in there and over night wiped my birds out.. That happened twice to me so I gave up on them.. I even live trapped them and removed them so The first year of live trapping them I had removed 15 coons due to and old abandon house that is close by. Myself as well as several others went to the town about it.. But, because the owner who is out of state pays taxes they would not do anything about it. I do know it is important for them to have a place to roost though even though this case the coons won out..
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Phil you had 22.5 sq. feet of space per bird with 50 birds, which is just short of the 25 sq. feet recommended. I wouldn't have anticipated any problems but the young OP has only about half the recommended space and I would be surprised if he doesn't lose a bunch of birds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.