Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Dove hunting question (South Carolina) >

Dove hunting question (South Carolina)

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove hunting question (South Carolina)

Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Spike

Default Dove hunting question (South Carolina)

I have never been dove hunting so this might be dumb questions. Please forgive me if so. I am consider it for a deer hunt replacement.

1. I have a 12 ga combo. It is Waterfowl/turkey combo from Mossberg. I will be using lead shot for dove, so I should use the turkey barrel correct? Or should I use steel & waterfowl barrel?

2. Is the standard choke for those barrels ok? I just need to know at what range I get 36" pattern right?

3. Do i use target loads? (#7 1/2 1 1/8 oz loads)

4. Is the public WMA dove fields good places to go? I know the WMA permit is $30, but it is hard to drive to where I deer hunt at times with work.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't tell you where to hunt in SC, but you want farm fields, not woods where you would hunt for deer. some water close by and harvested grain fields if possible. but, you want a shotgun with a fairly open choke, modified would be good. Low base 7 1/2 or 8s, doves do not take a lot of killing. You want a large pattern with no holes in it, dove shooting is fairly close in.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a shotgun that takes different chokes, I would buy an improved cylinder or no tighter than a modified if the shots will be a little further out. Whatever you use you should shoot it to see how it patterns out to 40+ yards and 7 1/2s or 8s are all you need for doves, as stated above.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sfwusc
I have never been dove hunting......

1. ....... I will be using lead shot for dove........
Let's slow down just for a minute, so that your first dove hunt might be a good one.

SC has many different types of dove. Morning dove is listed as a migratory species meaning you will need a HIP(Harvest Information Program) registration and use non-toxic shot-something besides lead.
I don't know if you have any skill identifying dove species, so here's a good link in case:
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/dove/pdf/doveidsheet.pdf

Last edited by Game Stalker; 08-10-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: identification link
Old 08-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is not necessary to use non-toxic shot under federal law to hunt mourning doves, that requirement is for migratory waterfowl only. HIP is a means of compiling data on migratory bird hunting and has nothing to do with nontoxic shot requirements.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It is not necessary to use non-toxic shot under federal law to hunt mourning doves, that requirement is for migratory waterfowl only. HIP is a means of compiling data on migratory bird hunting and has nothing to do with nontoxic shot requirements.
Sorry Oldtimr, but this is a perfect reason why one should always read regulations for themselves. VA has a similar law. I checked SC regs. before posting previously.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/migratory...gulations.html .
Have a nice day.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really don't care what you checked before you posted, your initial post made it look as though because doves fell under HIP non tox shot was required. That is not the case, if it is required by SC that is another matter.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I really don't care what you checked before you posted, your initial post made it look as though because doves fell under HIP non tox shot was required. That is not the case, if it is required by SC that is another matter.
You sure do assume a lot. You were wrong. Man-up and move on.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should probably check again because non tox in not required state wide only on state WMAs hot shot.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-10-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to make this last statement then I'm going to leave to your little world. You obviously need attention I'll no longer waste my time on.
First of all, I was concerned for new dove hunter possibly unfamiliar w/regs-unlike yourself.
Secondly, I did about notice the location requirements, so make more presumptions. If you had read the OP, genius, you would see they are considering a WMA hunt. Now go rest until your bruised ego heals. Afterwords, you can search for whatever little intelligence you lost somewhere.You certainly don't argue your points well. Now "hot shot" yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.