HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   WA valley quail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/39284-wa-valley-quail.html)

scottr 10-06-2003 10:47 PM

WA valley quail

Hi,

I am new to the site so a big Howdy to everyone.

My father-in-law is charged up todo some valley quial hunting but I have never chased these birds. He is driving out from Bozeman and we would like to meet somewhere in WA that limits his drive time and is with in the I-90 corridor. I am thinking Ephrata or Ritzville due to their proximty to 90 and local services (motels etc).

Does anyone have any advice for these areas? I have found lots of public access points on the WDFW web site but don' t know if there are some I should avoid. We' ll be hunting over two brits. I would like to avoid areas with big cliffs or that is extremely hilly.

Not looking (or expecting) for secret spots jsut some general direction.

Thnaks

Scott

seattlesetters 10-07-2003 08:40 AM

RE: WA valley quail

Try Soap Lake, the Indian Dan or the Colville Reservation. You' ll have to buy a Reservation license for Colville, but if Valley Quail are your quarry, it will be worth it. The big wildlife areas in the middle of the state (Colockum, Quilomene, LT Murray, Oak Creek) are all brutally steep, very dry and not for the faint of heart.

If you choose the Res, you may want to make sure you bring along a few pairs of dog boots...actually, that' s a good suggestion for just about anywhere. If you hunt before Nov. 15, watch out for rattlesnakes, as well.

scottr 10-07-2003 06:29 PM

Seattlesetters,

Thanks for the tips. Brutally steep will not work for the father-in-law. I was wondering about the snakes too. I thought by the end of Oct they might be snoozing but just in case the dogs are getting some snake training.

Are Soap Lake and Indian Dan areas on reservation land?

Scottr

seattlesetters 10-07-2003 07:43 PM

Both the Indian Dan and Soap Lake are wildlife areas owned by the state. The Indian Dan has a bit more difficult terrain, but there are quite a bit of flats there, as well. If you go there, be careful about running across sharptails...you can' t shoot them in Washington. You should also encounter huns, which are fair game.

If you really want to be assured of getting into some quail, I' d try the Colville Res. There are tons of quail there, and you won' t run into too many other hunters.

There is also a bunch of quail on the Yakima and Toppenish Reservations, but those are farther west and will have more pressure because there are also quite a few pheasants on those areas.

The best places to hunt quail in the state are unfortunately the areas where no one wants to go: I.E. the areas that are so rugged, steep and remote that sane people rightfully stay away from them. Areas such as the Quilomene are far more brutal than most can imagine, and many hunters lose their dogs, rigs, even their lives there every year. If you decide to go to such a place, make sure you do so with someone who knows the area intimately, that way if disaster strikes they can at least give you a fighting chance to make it out on foot.

scottr 10-07-2003 10:27 PM

I feel a little dumb, I know where Soap Lake is so I don' t know why I asked that. I' ll have to look into Indian Dan a little more. I was looking at Swason Lakes and learned that this area is managed for Sharp Tail restoration. Thanks for the heads up on Indian Dan.

Thats great info on Quilomene. It was one of the areas we were looking at but I don' t think my father-in-law will be up for that type of terrain. I knew it was pretty rugged and remote as a friend has hunted it when it was open for deer but I did not get the impression it was that harsh. That will be one I' ll do another time.

Looking at the map the Colville may be to far of th etrail for this time around. I am going to give the tribe a call though tomorrow to inquire about licenses and access. I have heard there is pretty good fishing on th Res. as well. I have alwayts wanted to fish the upper Sanpoil.

You' ve been a lot of help.

Thank You,

Scott

seattlesetters 10-08-2003 09:56 AM

Scott - The roads in the high portions of the Quilomene are somewhat decent and fairly easy for deer hunters. Where the quail are, however, down in the bottom of the canyons near the Columbia, there are no roads. The only way in is straight down...the only way out, straight up. Makes for a long, arduous day. Each hunter will need to carry at least 200 oz of water for himself and one dog. That should get you about three or four hours in, give or take.

I don' t know where you live, but you may want to try Toppenish and the Yakima Reservations. Pretty easy hunting and lots of birds.

scottr 10-08-2003 01:53 PM

Seattlesetters,

I think think Indian Dan, Yakima Nation and Toppenish are going to be a little to far off the trail. Yes, I can see where the Quilomene can get nasty near the river. I have been on the cliffs on the up-river side of Vanatage and they are quite large there. The gorge gets bigger as you go up river so we' ll pass on that as well.

It would be easy for me to get to any of these areas as I live in Sammamish. My Father-In-Law will be making the 12 hour drive from Bozeman MT so we want to try and limit his road time as much as posible.

I am now thinking about checking out Sun Lakes, Gloyd Seeps, Potholes and Banks Lakes WFAs. I am going to put a call into the WDFW regional office and see what they might suggest as well.

Thanks

Scott

seattlesetters 10-08-2003 03:46 PM

Scott - Let me know what Fish and Wildlife says.

Are the Britts yours or your father-in-law' s?

kooldude 10-08-2003 11:30 PM

Hey scott Im new here too, I live in ephrata, and do a lot of hunting here. Soap Lk don' t have much quail, but lots of chukars, the ground is steep. Gloyd seeps would be your best bet, I ran into some good size covies while dove hunting. If you like maybe we could hook up and I could show you around out there, its only 20 mins. from home for me. [email protected] email if your interested, if not good luck.

scottr 10-08-2003 11:30 PM

I' ll post what WDFW says.

The Brits are my FNL' s