Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Who's an upland hunter here? >

Who's an upland hunter here?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Who's an upland hunter here?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Spike

I'm a upland hunter at heart. Been chasing the Kansas ringneck for about 20 years now. I have two shorthairs and very rarely miss a weekend. Married a farm girl from Western Kansas, one of the smartest things I've ever done!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Spike

I grew up upland hunting with my dad and his dogs, but we are big turkey and deer hunters also. As I got older and old enough to deer hunt on my own I spent a lot of time deer hunting, and been very blessed to have killed some decent bucks over the years. I hate to say it, but I probably went a easy 12 to 13 years without upland hunting with my dad because I was deer hunting, but we still hunted deer and turkey together all those years. Two years ago I killed my buck early in deer season, and decided to go quail hunting with dad, I'm here to tell you all that I had a blast and missed out on a lot of fun not bird hunting with dad and his dogs over all those years. I ended up bird hunting alot with dad the rest of the season, and had a ton of fun. Then this past season I done a whole lot or bird hunting with him, we hunted a bunch here in indiana and we even went out to kansas in january, and had a lot of fun out there. I'll be bird hunting from now on every season.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go Pheasant and Dove hunting every year. I spend most of my time now trying to encourage a robust resident Pheasant population and less time hunting them.

For over a decade I raised Pheasant to release, but had pitiful results. The survival rate for the first winter was a round 15%. I was hoping to increase the resident breeding population, but didn't have any real success.

Now I spend most of my time reducing the Fox, Marten, Crows and other nest robbers trying to give the Pheasant a chance at a comeback. I also plant habitat.

My efforts worked out well for the Ducks, the native Pheasant population is static. but not growing. Hare seems to be in about the same situation as Pheasant, static but not doing well.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-01-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to and enjoyed hunting with my Irish Settlers. But they have crossed over the rainbow bridge and my health conditions has pretty well slowed me down. But I felt that I was very blessed to have had some great old fashion hunting dogs. Some don’t think that they could be very good hunters. But do the research as with any breed of bird dogs and you would have some great success.. These pics are from Rusty when he was at 6 to 18 months of age. He taught me a lot about the style of hunting he enjoyed. I never had to worry about him running off for long as he would always come back looking for me within around 5 minutes..
Attached Thumbnails Who's an upland hunter here?-45fd8864-bc65-4488-92ed-fd17b24e1b14.jpeg   Who's an upland hunter here?-42cc11ab-2710-4471-9a90-4ee625787802.jpeg   Who's an upland hunter here?-8bc10c91-7836-4068-a9b6-fff8ec2b5f34.jpeg  

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-20-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Since folks are posting pics of their pups, here are mine, German Wirehair Pointer, I have been blessed to have owned great GWP's, this one, Sport may be the best yet, just turned 3, the other is my second Large Munsterlander, Lauger, very good dog, great nose, tracking master. Still a few birds here in Montana to chase around.
Attached Thumbnails Who's an upland hunter here?-img_1320.jpg   Who's an upland hunter here?-lager.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default New Guy Here

Love upland hunting! I live in So Cal, but do all of my hunting in Arizona. Dove and quail are my passion. I look forward to hunting season every year! I don't have a dog, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, but I don't care. Just awesome to be out there.
Really looking forward to the dove opener in Yuma on 9-1-2018. The first dove season runs from the 1st to the 15th of September. I will be out multiple times during this time after White Wings and Morning Dove. Gambles Quail opens in October and I will be hitting the Desert chasing them as well as going after some Mearns near Tucson in the Winter as as well as the second dove season that starts November 23rd. I have friends that live for deer season, and I get it, but for me, it's upland hunting that I truly love! Everyone have a safe and good hunt this season!

Robert

Last edited by smbob; 08-08-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default New Guy Here

Love upland hunting! I live in So Cal, but do all of my hunting in Arizona. Dove and quail are my passion. I look forward to hunting season every year! I don't have a dog, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, but I don't care. Just awesome to be out there.
Really looking forward to the dove opener in Yuma on 9-1-2018. The first dove season runs from the 1st to the 15th of September. I will be out multiple times during this time after White Wings and Morning Dove. Gambles Quail opens in October and I will be hitting the Desert chasing them as well as going after some Mearns near Tucson in the Winter. I have friends that live for deer season, and I get it, but for me, it's upland hunting that I truly love! Everyone have a safe and good hunt this season!

Robert
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Spike

I just shot my first 2 bobwhite quail in probably 30 years...got interested in big game hunting and now I'm back to birds for now...deer season is just too short...
Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 AM
Spike

Default Me

We have over 3,000 miles logged on the truck so far. 1 month to go.
Attached Thumbnails Who's an upland hunter here?-img_20191215_151148_821.jpg   Who's an upland hunter here?-img_20191129_173910_980.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 05:51 AM
Spike

I am a waterfowl hunter at heart but am interested in getting into upland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.