HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   New to upland bird hunting in NH (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/39195-new-upland-bird-hunting-nh.html)

got_the_bug 10-06-2003 08:52 AM

New to upland bird hunting in NH

Hi...

Looking for a little advice...I would really like to hunt for grouse/pheasant this season. My Ruger Red Label is ready to go; I just need some ideas about the best way to start. I don' t have a dog, although I do have a cat that would probably be quite willing to go bird hunting. :D If you have any general info about habitat, techniques for hunting alone, best times, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. If you actually live in NH and can give good area or location information, all the better...

MA Jay 10-06-2003 01:40 PM

RE: New to upland bird hunting in NH

Hey Bug.

You' re posting here so you obviously know how to use the internet. Check the NH Fish and Game website for the pheasant locations they stock and try anyone of them. I was out Sunday and picked up a couple of birds .. but I use a dog. Just a suggestion, w/out a dog, hunt either Friday or first thing Saturday morning and you' ll have your best shot at a stocked bird. As far as grouse .. depends where you live. I personally like the Southwest corner of the state for birds. Slightly less densities but I' ve never bumped into another hunter. Paper lands up north are great and White Mountain National Forest has some birds as well. My tip for finding great grouse land .. look up registered tree farms. They are all over the state and you can legally hunt anyone of them even though they are private property...part of getting the tax break on the land. Plus all those clear cuts are grouse havens once they get 2 + years old. And without a dog the old scidder trails make a great way to access them and you' ll often kick up birds along them. Good luck.

Split-Hoof 10-06-2003 02:36 PM

Also read " Ruffed grouse alone- No dog" posted in this forum. I shared some of my strategies for hunting along logging roads. Might be useful to you since the terrain you will be hunting may be similar.

got_the_bug 10-08-2003 01:46 PM

Thanks, guys...

MA Jay 10-09-2003 10:33 AM

Bug-

Not sure where you live in NH but next Thursday and/or Friday I plan on bird hunting NH. If I know where you are looking to hunt I may be able to help you get into a spot or you can meet me and my mutt some where and maybe you can get that expensive gun dirty.

It' s been a pretty good bird season .. with the cool weather moving in the woodcock should be filtering down making for some added fun.