Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ring necks at a farm

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ring necks at a farm

Hey everyone,
Hope your hunts have been successful this winter.
I have been hunting grouse by myself no dog. Traversing logging roads at a snails pace gets the job done for me.
My grandfather talks of seeing many wild ringnecks back in the day. I would like to harvest a few with him for the memories. he's not up for traveling however there is an upland preserve not far from our home. My main inquiry is how do these "preserves" conduct their hunts? I'm a fair chase hunter who hunts squirrel grouse and whitetail. I am proud of that.
Idk if anyone understands where I'm coming from on this one.
Does anyone go and shoot birds at these places? I'm afraid to even call it hunting as it seems to me to be more on the level of shooting your neighbors chickens and paying him a premium to do so.
I just don't know.
I guess I'm mainly interested in how a place like that operates and how me and my grandfather would feel about our "hunt" after the fact, being the true sportsman we are.
A second small one, Im western md, where is the closest huntable wild populations of ringnecks?? this is only for future solo missions I am mainly interested in the hunt with pap
Old 02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

bump myself?
sure why not

really interested in hunting ringnecks
Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have guided at Preserve hunts so I can answer what I did.

Birds are bought by the client and then randomly placed about the cover of the farm. You take a dog or dogs and go hunt them. Or can go without a dog and walk. But using a dog with grandpa would be far more enjoybale for you both!
It is as close to wild as one can get.
Now pen raised birds do like to run but with the right dog they will fly. I always tried to make it as pleasureable of an experience as I could.

Ask what type of dogs they use? They may have flushers or pointing dogs available.
Flushers should work close most times as to present and "IN" range shot while a pointer should go find the bird and point and hold that bird till you get there. I always required my dogs to be steady to wing and shot and not move from that point till I sent them. It was just a safety factor to me as I knew the dog would never be in front of an unknown gunner.

JW
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

OK, I'm with you so far. I buy say ten and hang out for awhile while they place them in cover all around.

I got my first beagle when i was one, and have had several since. never have done any rabbit hunting with any of them but I've always had them cause in his younger days pap used to rabbit hunt with them and enjoys having them around.
So i like dogs alot! and having never hunted anything bird-wise other than grouse on foot by myself a bird dog flushing would be an awesome experience.

so do the dogs lead the hunt? would we all be following their noses?
because that would be something to see!

do people get shots at all the birds placed out in cover?
if i got a clear shot the winchester 1500 don't miss
sometimes i do but thats a whole nother thread lol

so is there no where in the east where there are wild huntable pheasant populations?

Thanks for the experience and it sounds better than I pictured it.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is stretching my memory a bit too thin, but I remember a sporting clays & bird hunting preserve in Western Maryland. I can't remember exactly where but I think it was between I68 and Deep Creek lake. I know there are a few within fairly easy driving distance of Oakland in Pennsylvania and just one just North of Baltimore. They usually operate during the winter months.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to take my Irish Setters to a bird farm up here.. They were great for training a dog on.. Here you pay for what you want released and then hunt them. He will go up ahead and set them out for you. It is common here for them to rock them to sleep when releasing them so they do not just fly away to hard telling what county they end up in. Dogs are used up here and if you do not own a dog the farm has a couple that can be used. They normally want you to bring your own dog though.. The dogs should point and flush when told to.. Then you try and hit them on the wing.. Anyways that is how they are run up here and good luck to you and your grand farther..
Old 03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
This is stretching my memory a bit too thin, but I remember a sporting clays & bird hunting preserve in Western Maryland. I can't remember exactly where but I think it was between I68 and Deep Creek lake. I know there are a few within fairly easy driving distance of Oakland in Pennsylvania and just one just North of Baltimore. They usually operate during the winter months.
that's the place i'm looking at man, i think it's called wings of challenge or something like that. accident, md i think. you can find their contact info online but no full website explaining what they do there or prices or anything so i'm just gonna have to call them up when the weather clears. ,maybe mid april I'll call them.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I used to take my Irish Setters to a bird farm up here.. They were great for training a dog on.. Here you pay for what you want released and then hunt them. He will go up ahead and set them out for you. It is common here for them to rock them to sleep when releasing them so they do not just fly away to hard telling what county they end up in. Dogs are used up here and if you do not own a dog the farm has a couple that can be used. They normally want you to bring your own dog though.. The dogs should point and flush when told to.. Then you try and hit them on the wing.. Anyways that is how they are run up here and good luck to you and your grand farther..
i see so the dog points and waits.
i love the idea of maine, trapping lobsters and hunting moose lol i know its hard for residents to draw bull moose too but youre so close to canada. oh canada, i dream about caribou lol
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by logancbeeman
that's the place i'm looking at man, i think it's called wings of challenge or something like that. accident, md i think. you can find their contact info online but no full website explaining what they do there or prices or anything so i'm just gonna have to call them up when the weather clears. ,maybe mid april I'll call them.
The places that I have visited are usually shut down for bird hunts by April and switch the focus to Clays.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
The places that I have visited are usually shut down for bird hunts by April and switch the focus to Clays.
Thanks for the tip, I will call soon then as they also do clay shooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.