HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   KY Grouse hunters 2014 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/388942-ky-grouse-hunters-2014-a.html)

wildirishman64 01-12-2014 06:15 PM

KY Grouse hunters 2014

Just wanted to see how other Grouse hunters are doing two-year in the bluegrass? Let me know what county your are in and what kind of cover/Food are they eating?

ihookem1 01-13-2014 03:45 PM

I hear form grouse hunters down your way that it isn't good. I talk to plenty of them in northern Wis. over the years. I took a walk on 11/22/13, the day before gun season. I kicked up a dozen or so in a mile walk. Hunting pressure is down the last 5 years. Not nearly as many out of state guys coming up. Used to see a lot of plates from Kentucky, Tennessee , Virginia and even Georgia. I always asked, is it really that good up here for grouse?? One guy from eastern Tennessee told me they flush maybe one grouse down there for 10 up here. I should have swapped a bear hunt with the guy. Just don't ever forget your topo's and a good compass.

jrfrmn 02-04-2014 02:58 PM

Grouse

[QUOTE=ihookem1;4115859]I hear form grouse hunters down your way that it isn't good. I talk to plenty of them in northern Wis. over the years. I took a walk on 11/22/13, the day before gun season. I kicked up a dozen or so in a mile walk. Hunting pressure is down the last 5 years. Not nearly as many out of state guys coming up. Used to see a lot of plates from Kentucky, Tennessee , Virginia and even Georgia. I always asked, is it really that good up here for grouse?? One guy from eastern Tennessee told me they flush maybe one grouse down there for 10 up here. I should have swapped a bear hunt with the guy. Just don't ever forget your topo's and a good compass.[/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you anywhere close to Park Falls? I was told there is very good hunting there. Would you recommend any other good placed to go?

ihookem1 02-11-2014 04:45 PM

Park Falls is in Price co . I also have a place in Price co. It makes very little difference as far as I know. Perhaps there is less hunting pressure on the west side of Price co. Grouse hunting pressure is low all over it seems. There are walking trails everywhere. I wouldn't bother with those though. I would drive smaller gravel roads on public land and find any place with a small over grown atv trail, or another good idea is find a good size creek or river and follow the ridge. Seems a lot of grouse near the thick areas along rivers. Like I said grouse pressure seems real low the last few years. I don't even hunt them but scouting the week before gun season I kicked up enough that maybe I would start again. Price co is " The Ruffed Grouse Capital Of The World !!!!" Don't let that fool you. There is little difference if any between the adjoining counties. Sawyer co is to the west. A typical northern county. Rough, thick, mostly flat land. Bring a compass and and GPS with maps. Rusk co is a bunch more farm but has some darn big woods. Taylor is to the south. A little more populated but has N.F. and should be good but I would say has a bit more hunting pressure, not that there is much. If you bring a dog be a bit carefull. Wolves will kill a dog in a hurry. A Minnesota hunter stopped me and asked if I saw a dog anywhere. I told him no and took his number. The guy said he was hunting, and all the sudden just disappeared . That is a typical wolf kill. Another hunter I read saw a few wolves rip up a bird dog. He shot one of the wolves. No charges will be filed so shoot away for the dogs sake. Also, there is public land almost everywhere.