HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   PA grouse hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/377729-pa-grouse-hunt.html)

coolbrze0 01-13-2013 12:38 PM

PA grouse hunt

A buddy and I are heading up to PA to grouse hunt w/in the next few weeks. Could anyone point us in the right direction? He's been up there before, but has found very limited birds, yet better #s than VA.

Tundra10 01-13-2013 10:38 PM

Good luck!

sproulman 01-31-2013 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by coolbrze0 (Post 4026811)
A buddy and I are heading up to PA to grouse hunt w/in the next few weeks. Could anyone point us in the right direction? He's been up there before, but has found very limited birds, yet better #s than VA.

season closed on jan26th.
grouse hunting is not good.
we saw very few broods of little grouse this year.
hunting pressure, hawks/owls/fox are taking toll on grouse.

habitat that is left is being overhunted badly.
i never saw so many dogs this year in 46 yrs i have hunted grouse.
i hunt about 3 times a week and know good spots.
i had 31 flushes for 3 months of hunting.
i dont kill very many but in comes other hunters and will shoot out all grouse, if they can.
i used to have 31 flushes a week not in 3 months or so.

if you find a good area that has not been hunted hard which is rare, you are looking at about 2 flushes .
DONT BELIEVE TOO MUCH YOU READ FROM PGC OR SOME OF NEWSPAPER ARTICLES.

trhey fib most of time to get you to come here.

its so bad that i am heading to wisconsin this fall for grouse.

HuntFishRide 02-13-2013 06:20 PM

Yeah PA is not as good for grouse hunting as people make it out to be. Hunters out number birds by a lot. Unless you can find solid private land to hunt I wouldn't waste a trip

sproulman 02-13-2013 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by HuntFishRide (Post 4036257)
Yeah PA is not as good for grouse hunting as people make it out to be. Hunters out number birds by a lot. Unless you can find solid private land to hunt I wouldn't waste a trip

even wisconsin is now being hunted hard for grouse.the grouse are so spooky do to the out of state hunters from what i read.
its hard to get a good point on grouse .

will see this fall if i get asked to go.

HuntFishRide 02-14-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sproulman (Post 4036291)
even wisconsin is now being hunted hard for grouse.the grouse are so spooky do to the out of state hunters from what i read.
its hard to get a good point on grouse .

will see this fall if i get asked to go.

It's frustrating because I love bird hunting. PA doesn't have much to offer in that area. There is some good turkey hunting, but that's not nearly as exciting as flushing some birds out of cover

sproulman 03-06-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by HuntFishRide (Post 4036398)
It's frustrating because I love bird hunting. PA doesn't have much to offer in that area. There is some good turkey hunting, but that's not nearly as exciting as flushing some birds out of cover

i believe the PGC is going to 2 week turkey season do to lack of turkeys this year.
its no wonder. letting hunters shoot 2 turkeys then little kids that are not in woods and get another 2 turkeys has ruined turkey hunting.

Phil from Maine 03-09-2013 01:29 AM

its so bad that i am heading to wisconsin this fall for grouse.
So you most likely are not heading up this way? We have a lot of grouse as well as predators. The grouse keeps showing up each year though..

i believe the PGC is going to 2 week turkey season do to lack of turkeys this year.
its no wonder. letting hunters shoot 2 turkeys then little kids that are not in woods and get another 2 turkeys has ruined turkey hunting.
We have a 2 turket limit each spring as well as 1 of either sex in the fall in certain areas. Now they are currently meeting on increasing the number of turkeys one can shoot as well as a longer season. They have been doing great here..

fzo 03-09-2013 05:27 AM

hope u still find some grouse

sproulman 03-09-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine (Post 4041827)
So you most likely are not heading up this way? We have a lot of grouse as well as predators. The grouse keeps showing up each year though..

We have a 2 turket limit each spring as well as 1 of either sex in the fall in certain areas. Now they are currently meeting on increasing the number of turkeys one can shoot as well as a longer season. They have been doing great here..

my brother wants me to go up your way .
but i dont know my way around.
wisconsin trip IF i get invited is 2 day drive and 63 dollars a week for camp.
they know their way around area but I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM .