Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Blue Grouse/High Wind

Old 09-17-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Blue Grouse/High Wind

Went out to one of my " B" areas for Blue grouse this afternoon. It' s usually good for a shot at at least one bird. This is a LONG gradually sloping chunk of sage (100' s of acres) that transitions into " tongues" of Aspen groves topped by a brief rim of Ponderosas and other pine, backed by cliff bands. The usual tactic is to work the sage at the transition where the Aspens encroach on the sage. Today it was Nukin' wind out of the dead West right up the sage slopes. My question is this: Where might these grouse be hiding in such clear, windy conditions? There are many " flats" of low growing Junniper bushes inerspersed in the area, but the dog could not raise a bird despite tearing up quite a few of them. Might they roost early in such conditions? Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM

Default RE: Blue Grouse/High Wind

Dear Beans; I don' t pretend to know more about Blues than anyone else. In the area you described I would look for them in the fir. I do believe it is likely they went to roosting sites early. Tom Remington, a Colorado biologist, did a study on grouse roosting sites and behavior that showed the primary difference is wind at the roosting sites and that Blue grouse use movement in microenviroment to control energy expenditures. The birds move to protected subalpine fir roosting sites. There movement within habitat appears to be the way grouse survive in these harsh enviroments.
How is your season so far? The Blues are much better in NM this year than last. Berries, hoppers were abundant and the young did well. A good rebound but drought killed us last year. Our grouse habitat is much more limited than yours, however, and there are never enough. It is great just getting out in the high country with the dogs.