Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
tell me something about a 28 guage >

tell me something about a 28 guage

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

tell me something about a 28 guage

Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Spike

Default tell me something about a 28 guage

After 20 years of using my beloved belgian a5 12 ga, I am going to buy another upland shotgun. I am drooling over a Benelli legacy, and am trying to decide on the 20, or 28ga. I have never had a 28, and I am not familiar with its use in the pheasant field. Any thoughts, good or bad?? Thanks JCM
Old 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

it takes 28 solid spheres of lead, that will fit the bore of the firearm, to equal a pound.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Spike

Any thoughts about how it will perform against a 20 ga?? Is it an appropriate guage for hunting upland game?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Here are a few things to consider

I own both a 28 and a 20.

20 Ga shells are easier to find and are cheaper.
28 Ga rounds is twice the price of 12 Ga right now - reason I reload for my 28.

Both will shoot basically the same. Just less lead.

Th 28 gun may be lighter in wt

Now I shoot O&U's my Berreta 28 is 4.5 lbs and is oh so nice to carry int he grouse woodcock woods. Far better thatn the 20.

The 28 is a bit light on pheasnats though IMO. So I use the 20 and at times the 12.

But go look at the cost of shot shells and then decide.

JW
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Spike

Thanks JW,
The 20 ga is what I was really wanting, for weight, and ability. the 28 came into play when I was looking at the # of ea that were made. I think the 28 will be worth more in the long run, but since I will never sell either, that is not a very valid argument. Whichever I buy, I want a gun that will perform, without question.

Now, any thoughts about the Legacy??
It is a real looker, and it comes up to shoulder just perfect for me. With my Browning, I have to cock my head a little to get a clear sight down the rib. That is the biggest reason I want the Benelli.

thanks again.
JCM
Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Correct Gun Fit a person will just shoot better, cripple game less and thus be more confident on their shots!

I do own a Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 Ga 3.5" and use it for ducks and geese. Shot a few turkeys with it too!
However I do not use 3.5" rounds no more - too expensive and the extra half inch offers no more than using 3 inch rounds.
I did adjust the drop of the comb myself with the supplied shim kit. I had too as I hated this gun and then found out it did not fit me right. So I dropped the comb, went to the IC choke and I am now deadly on waterfowl.

I have beat the crap out of this shotgun. It is camo and does take a licking well!

I like the wt and feel of the gun. I like the fact of the inertia spring and it is almost maintenance free. If I see that closing the bolt is starting to slow down I will clean it. Otherwise I just shoot it.
It has been trouble free once I got the gun to fit this ole body!

So I have nothing negative to say about it at all. Liked it so much I went and spent the bucks on a Benelli R1 308 caliber for deer and have never looked back. Talk about sweet shooting rifles! man.......

JW

Ps ~ as with any shotgun one neds to spend a bit of time on a petterning board to make sure it shoots where you are looking. If it don't shim it or contact a gunsmith to help.

Last edited by JW; 12-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd recomend a 20 gauge built on a smaller frame (ie: CZ).

...........also makes for a good back up for "any" hunting or for self defense.

410 bore & 28 gauge ammo can get expense and not as effective on larger animals.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default 28ga.

i hunt a great deal with a 28 ga. my go to goose gun is a beretta o/u and i shoot pretty fast steel through it. love it. my bird gun is a sxs with screw in chokes and for pheasant i shoot lite mod. and imp. mod. i hand load for it and shoot a 15/16 oz load at just over 1500 fps and use copper 7.5's. at that speed they have about the same energy as #5's in a regular load. really, really deadly and it only weights 5 #'s. i also have 5 20 ga. but rarely use them. as far as cost of shells go, worry about the price of gas and your beer. forget the shells

cheers
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

"i hunt a great deal with a 28 ga. my go to goose gun is a beretta o/u.................." 14 ga

I am sure you will find many who agree with you (Goose gun) on this site ~ I'm just not one of them. LOL

I can still remember shooting them as a kid, with my friend's Dad 36" barrel 12 gauge bolt shotgun, in a big open field just laying there with our backs flat on the ground.

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Use a premium shell like HeviShot if you are going to
shoot a 28. The better shell will help a great deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.