Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Grouse hunting in Norway in the 1870s? >

Grouse hunting in Norway in the 1870s?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Grouse hunting in Norway in the 1870s?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Spike

Question Grouse hunting in Norway in the 1870s?

Hello,

I just discovered your forum and thought this might be a great place to get some answers to a question I've been trying to research for a while. I am not a hunter myself, but I have been doing research on tourist hunting in Norway in the 1870s for a novel I'm writing. I've been able to find all the information I need, except for one question that my sources don't address at all: what did tourists in Norway at this time period do with the birds they had shot after the hunt was over?

This may be a very obvious answer to a hunter, but the reason I ask is because tourists in Norway at that time would not travel to a particular hunting ground and stay there for a while, but rather would travel from place to place down prescribed routes, staying only a day or two at any given location. The method of travel at the time, the carriole, was very small and light and did not allow travelers to take very much with them. They would stay the night at "stations", usually farmhouses adapted for the purpose of lodging travelers. So if hunters shot more than they could eat in a night or two, which seems from all my sources to have been often the case, would they have given the leftover birds to their hosts, or sold them to the locals, or something different?

If no one knows anything about such things in nineteenth century Norway, then I'd also appreciate information about such cases in modern day Norway, or in any other country they do have experience in. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this issue!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Spike

It may have been like in the modern UK. The shot birds are not the property shooters. They are sold for their meat, for the benefit of landowner.