HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Looking for a grouse dog for a beginner. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/375173-looking-grouse-dog-beginner.html)

dvallilee 11-10-2012 07:16 PM

Looking for a grouse dog for a beginner.

I hunt the Southern Tier in New York.There are alot of pine's where I hunt and it's thick.I'm looking for a pointer or a dog that will let me know that grouse are close by.
My only experience hunting with dogs are with beagles rabbit hunting.Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

JW 11-12-2012 05:23 PM

Take a look at the Versatile Pointing breeds and contact the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc. Look at breeds from german shorthairs to german wirehairs to brittanies, to wirehaired pointing griffons to English setters to small or large munsterlandeers and several others. I am sure there is a breed there that will catch your eye. They all will hunt grouse.
JW

Doc E 11-13-2012 05:55 AM

English Setters are the 'old standby', but in thick cover, it's very hard to beat a good Pointing Lab.

Mickey Finn 11-13-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doc E (Post 4004341)
English Setters are the 'old standby', but in thick cover, it's very hard to beat a good Pointing Lab.

Oh, I could beat one. :p

Close working seems to be the way to go here. German gun dogs are bred for the walking hunter. Which means they'll work close for you.

NAVHDA http://www.southerntier-navhda.org/ Should be your first stop. Look at the various dogs while they go through their paces. Talk to the other handlers. (Then get yourself a Drahthaar.;)) But train with NAVHDA. You'll be amazed at what a versatile dog can do. Working with the other handlers as you prepare for the various versatile tests. Will give you priceless insight.

Good hunting!

mustad 11-13-2012 04:49 PM

I wouldn't even start thinking about a kind of dog at this time. There are way too many dogs that will do what you're asking. No idea where the southern tier of ny is. Anything below Saratoga Springs is south for me. That said, there are a ton of NAVHDA chapters around for you to scope out the versatile breeds. I would definately look up a guy on Long Island named Steve Anker who will show you some other breeds.

Find some that range far. Some that range close. Slow dogs and fast dogs. Pointers and flushers. Then start forming an opinion of what you like. Do you even want a pointing dog or a flushing dog? I think you have a really awesome journey ahead of you. Take the time and figure out what you like before going any direction.

At the end of the day though, we all know you'd get a "Insert Dog Breed Name Here."

Good luck.

Doc E 11-13-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn (Post 4004531)
(Then get yourself a Drahthaar.;))
Good hunting!

A DD for a beginner :confused:
You MUST be joking.

Mickey Finn 11-13-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doc E (Post 4004627)
You MUST be joking.

Why would you say that?

JW 11-14-2012 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doc E (Post 4004627)
You MUST be joking.

I'd like to understand this comment too!

JW

Mark and Poco 11-15-2012 11:18 AM

I have 6 springer pups avaiable, look in the classified. they should work ok as a flushing dog, otherwise they are just great companions.

sdhunter11 12-21-2012 04:25 PM

I was raised behind a pointing chocolate lab. He was a great family and hunting dog. The labs tend to work better than the shorthairs in the -20 wind chills during late season pheasants. Not to say shorthairs are bad dogs, but we needed a dog that could sit in duck blind in the morning and flush pheasants in the afternoon.

Sheridan 12-21-2012 05:08 PM

Get yourself a Springer or a Brittany.

GKMAC 12-26-2012 11:09 AM

In my area GSP's and visla's are the most common.

Yellowsnow 12-30-2012 10:51 AM

Setters are the ultimate in grouse dogs. Sure other breeds can find some grouse when hunted on them regularly, but a setter with a bell is the standard that all other dogs are measured in teh grouse woods.

I high;y recommend finding some local breeders that grouse hunt. Go visit them and get a feel for how their dogs hunt. Pick a breeder that has dogs hunting how you want to hunt and get a pup. If they do training there as well, all the better.

Buy the breeder, not the breed. It's better in the end.

Sheridan 12-30-2012 11:31 AM

Remember; the only way to train bird dogs, is with birds & repetition !

sproulman 01-01-2013 04:02 PM

grouse dog

Setters .........

SPIKEHORN11 01-13-2013 07:57 AM

Check out wirehaired pointing griffons. I have a deposit on one now. They have a strong drive to hunt and are a close working dog. The fact they are hypoallergenic was the big factor for me.

BNorman22 04-22-2013 12:35 PM

Email me if you have not find your dog yet. I will help you out I think more than these few short comments left [email protected]