Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
O/U or Gas Operated Semi-Auto? >

O/U or Gas Operated Semi-Auto?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

O/U or Gas Operated Semi-Auto?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default O/U or Gas Operated Semi-Auto?

I enjoy shooting sporting clays quite a bit. My problem is that I have been going with my Benelli SBII and with the inertia driven bolt after 200 shots your shoulder is sore. So my question is... Should I buy a Beretta XPlor Light K.O. or a Franchi O/U?? This is going to be a dual purpose gun hunting and sporting clays, I try and make it to N.D. every other year, so when I do hunt, I walk a lot, but my buddy told me since I have an auto already I should buy a O/U for the sole reason of having 2 chokes?? I would love a little feedback..
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Spike

An O/U will not change the amount of felt recoil, unless you go for a gun that is substantially heavier than your Benelli. The Beretta, because of its gas action, will be softer shooting. Have you tried shooting clays with a lighter load? One ounce target loads are much more comnfortable to shoot than 1 1/8 oz. if your current gun will cycle them.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most basic concepts for shotguns (okay, IMO) !

So, please feel free to disagree - without calling me names !!! LOL

Gas operated auto loaders shoot softer than "any" other operating system.

"break-guns" are the safest operating system.

Autoloaders = waterfowlers

Break guns = upland hunter
Old 04-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1 Mr. Sheridan!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

If weight is an issue, consider a semi. I hardly ever ever carry my citori out partly because:

1. I dont want to scratch it. Gorgeous wood on this one.

2. Damn thing must weigh 15 lbs! OK for clays, but not for hunting.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Woah, 15lbs? The Franchi Instinct SL in 12ga is 5.7lbs in 28" and 5.6lbs in 26". Its the aluminum frames on these guns which makes it so light.

Sheridan is basically correct although I see a lot of upland hunters using autos.

The choice is really yours. If you value craftsmanship, then a double barrel may suit you. There not many double barrels gun with polymer stocks. If you are more into utilitarian then the auto may suit you. Both are fine. You have to weigh your budget and usage.