Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

what dog?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 574mag
I am retiring a yellow lab this year. She is the smartest, most well behaved dog I have ever had. She will hunt anything, but age is catching up with her. The dog before that was a Brittany, He was the hardest working dog I have ever seen. Would hunt forever if you let him. His only downsides where he wouldn't get into the water to swim and he really didn't like other dogs. the only thing he liked better than hunting was fighting. Made it impossible to take to a hunting camp. The only Brit I ever heard of like that though. The next dog will be a pudlepointer, just because I have heard they are very good and I have never seen one. I have seen more labs than anything else and the ones I have seen where very good hunters. I think they are tough to beat for versatility.

take look at SMALL MUNSTERLANDER.they are from german longhair pointer and BRITTANY.

www.smallmunsterlander.org

Last edited by sproulman; 03-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 574mag
I am retiring a yellow lab this year. She is the smartest, most well behaved dog I have ever had. She will hunt anything, but age is catching up with her. The dog before that was a Brittany, He was the hardest working dog I have ever seen. Would hunt forever if you let him. His only downsides where he wouldn't get into the water to swim and he really didn't like other dogs. the only thing he liked better than hunting was fighting. Made it impossible to take to a hunting camp. The only Brit I ever heard of like that though. The next dog will be a pudlepointer, just because I have heard they are very good and I have never seen one. I have seen more labs than anything else and the ones I have seen where very good hunters. I think they are tough to beat for versatility.
Excellent choice. I have three and can't say enough good things about this breed; either out hunting or in the house. Good luck!