Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird dog choices

Old 04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

As others have stated, you can't beat the Drahthaar for an all around dog!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Versatile

I'd look at Drahthaars as well. http://www.vdd-gna.org/index.php

ATB
Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Spike

SMALL LAB in my opinion is a real good dog if it comes from hunting stock.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by peterjackson
SMALL LAB in my opinion is a real good dog if it comes from hunting stock.

I AGREE. very nice house dog too.that is very important.
i had labs for 46 yrs.
now i went to SMALL MUNSTERLANDER and he is very good dog also hunting and in home.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Spike

I grew up with whatever $50 dog we could get from the newspaper and dogs that had some great training that neighbors have been trying to get rid of. In that time I have hunted with weimaraner, Vizsla, Labs, English pointer, German Short Hair (Several), Labradoodle, Pudelpointer, Irish Setter, English Setter, Brittany and Springer Spaniel and many mixes of all these. I loved all of these dogs and each one had it's benefit and downfall. My Dad and me have recently been introduced to the Drahthaar (about 4 year ago.) I do have to admit for an all around dog I love them. This is the first dog my kids are not scared around, they can be quite calm, but they also have the energy and drive to get out in the field all day. They truly are versatile as you can see by watching http://www.drahthaar-trulyversatile.com/video/.

Although they have been an ideal dog for me in many ways they are not for everyone. They have the get the neighbors cat instinct (which has been quite awkward at times) and tend to want to dominate other dogs. For my family and me it happens to be a pet the family can enjoy but also a great and talented hunting partner.

Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

My DD is not dominant at all around other dogs. In fact, he is a big wussy and won't hurt a flea when he's around kids or adults. However, mine is like yours in that when he goes into the hunting mode his breeding takes over and he'll kill every friggin cat or anything else with fur that he can catch. He's killed at least 6 or 7 woodchucks over at the fairgrounds where I run him every night and it ain't purty when he grabs one! It's really like a Jekyll and Hyde type of personality.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-05-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Have owned DDs for a number of years , will do anything you ask of it .
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Spike

Hi here in Norway we use a lott of different breeds , like english setter , Gordon Setter , Irish Setter , Pointer ,Kleiner Munsterlander , Vorsteher but i would recomend the Gordon Setter or the Vorsteher , they are the most used in combined hunting not just grouse , and they are good family dogs to.You may also take a look at my blog where i wil be updating with new posts of hunting and tips http://myhuntingtips.blogspot.no
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

I have a yellow lab myself and love em - he is getting old now so may have to retire him but he did good with ducks and chuckar / quail the last few years.

Cant go wrong with a lab IMO.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with sproulman on this one.. Those German Shorthairs are excellent hunting dogs. They have been known to hunt coyotes with them as well. I was debating on getting one when I ended up deciding on the Irish Setters..

He's killed at least 6 or 7 woodchucks over at the fairgrounds where I run him every night and it ain't purty when he grabs one!
My Irish has caught 4 birds and I really do not like it at all. I have tried to break him as I only want him pointing. I am not 100% sure if he is broken of it or not, but, he has not caught any more in a while.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-13-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.