HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Help in NH (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/355185-help-nh.html)

Mury 12-11-2011 08:57 AM

Help in NH

Hey team

I am new to hunting/shotguns – all of it pretty much. I hunt pheasant, or try to.

Got into this all as a way to get outside more & to start making a bit more connection with where my food is coming from, etc. Bought a Rem870 express, and took the ed safety course, got my license, and was ready to go!

That said: I’ve been out 3 times. I do not (and cannot afford) a dog. [We have 2 already and a 3rd is not do-able right now; both are Chinooks with a strong predator drive]. All 3 times, I have not seen ANY pheasants. In NH, they stock certain areas. I have been to these places, and I have seen nothing. Not even from a distance.

I am a bit discouraged. I am not sure what to do or who even to get advice/help from. I’m not really interested in going to a game preserve. Feels a bit rigged that way. Not sure if it’s “this area” … or if I’m doing something “wrong.”

I thought I’d see/flush at least a few birds my first season. But z-e-r-o.

Thoughts, advice, strong opinions … lay it on me.

PS — I have considered simply hunting goose … as they seem to be a bit more abundant (naturally) than other birds I’ve researched for this area. Feel free to weigh in on this as well.

Outdoor 12-24-2011 10:57 AM

The pheasant season in NH is terrible. The hunters ( not sure you would call them that) follow the stocking trucks and slam everyone they see. I don't know how the state can change things but they better. I have a dog and its tough...opening day there was 8 trucks and probably 25 guys...some with dogs. There is no consideration for another hunter at all, I was working the dog from a east to west direction in a wide open field and four hunters with a dog just decided to hunt south to north right into me. I was in that field long before they started and they just don't care. These were the same guys who were shooting way before you could see good! I will personally go to F&G and complain over the winter...I hate to say it but it sucks.

halfbakedi420 12-24-2011 12:17 PM

thats why its called hunting. as far as other people, maybe they thought you were just as rude?
should of joined them.
i feel ya on rigged hunting....might be time to change location, or what you hunt as you mentioned.

Outdoor 12-24-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3894014)
thats why its called hunting. as far as other people, maybe they thought you were just as rude?
should of joined them.
i feel ya on rigged hunting....might be time to change location, or what you hunt as you mentioned.

Thats why its called hunting??? what to be rude.
These gentlemen were a holes at best. If I was with a bunch of guys just getting ready to drive pheasnts in a field and saw a lone hunter out there NO BODY would move until he was long out of the way..period.

halfbakedi420 12-24-2011 07:10 PM

i am saying there are 3 sides to every story..maybe they wernt being rude on purpose, and maybe you should say hello, and see if its cool if ya join em? then ya wouldnt be on here asking where or what, you coulda asked them.

Outdoor 12-25-2011 07:33 PM

Halfbaked...Don't know how long you have been hunting ...your missing something >>> but let me go over this AGAIN. These were the guys shooting in another area long before you could see. What I didn’t think was important was to tell you the Game wardens were there trying to figure out "who" was doing the shooting. I know it was them because when I walked in there I could barely make them out in a field off to my left. So where do I go to get away>>> to my right. I start working a filed about twice the size as a football field lengthwise. They skirted around on a logging road and appear in the center of this field attempting to cross the short way. First off if you hunt with a dog you try very hard to place the dig nose into the wind. So by them cutting into me from the short side they are cross wind and to boot dam near on top of me so this is stupid at best. Why would I say hello???
HALFBAKED SAID:
"then ya wouldnt be on here asking where or what, you coulda asked them."

I don't believe I was asking where or what... can you spell comprehension? clueless right?

halfbakedi420 12-25-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mury (Post 3888194)
Hey team

I am new to hunting/shotguns – all of it pretty much. I hunt pheasant, or try to.

Got into this all as a way to get outside more & to start making a bit more connection with where my food is coming from, etc. Bought a Rem870 express, and took the ed safety course, got my license, and was ready to go!

That said: I’ve been out 3 times. I do not (and cannot afford) a dog. [We have 2 already and a 3rd is not do-able right now; both are Chinooks with a strong predator drive]. All 3 times, I have not seen ANY pheasants. In NH, they stock certain areas. I have been to these places, and I have seen nothing. Not even from a distance.

I am a bit discouraged. I am not sure what to do or who even to get advice/help from. I’m not really interested in going to a game preserve. Feels a bit rigged that way. Not sure if it’s “this area” … or if I’m doing something “wrong.”

I thought I’d see/flush at least a few birds my first season. But z-e-r-o.

Thoughts, advice, strong opinions … lay it on me.

PS — I have considered simply hunting goose … as they seem to be a bit more abundant (naturally) than other birds I’ve researched for this area. Feel free to weigh in on this as well.

dude you are absolutely right. clueless

Mite 12-27-2011 07:00 PM

There's no need to start flaming. There are bad hunters everywhere, including those I've had been unfortunate to meet. I won't usually let someone else dictate which direction and where I hunt. I've had two people set up on both sides of me and then try to 'squeeze' me out of the area. When they found out I was going on hunting, no matter if both were going walk besides me, they pulled away.

I'll avoid an area if someone is there first or are already set up even if it means going home empty and usually expect the same courtesy but also won't go out of my way for discourteous people.

To the OP, I suggest you get access to a gun dog or a friend who has. If everyone in front of you have hunted the area with dogs then you have a slim chance of finding one without a dog much less flushing one. Then finding cripples would also be easier. If you don't know anyone with a dog then find a friend who is willing to hunt with you. Then you can strategize a game plan where one pushes birds to the other.

mustad 01-02-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoor (Post 3894079)
Thats why its called hunting??? what to be rude.
These gentlemen were a holes at best. If I was with a bunch of guys just getting ready to drive pheasnts in a field and saw a lone hunter out there NO BODY would move until he was long out of the way..period.

I agree with Outdoor. Pheasant hunting in NH is a barbarian activity. I see no difference between hunting pheasants in NH and trying to buy them at the local supermarket on the same day everyone else wants them. NIGHTMARE. Leave the pheasants and focus on grouse and woodcock. You have a good population in NH.