HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Favorite pump for upland hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/354452-favorite-pump-upland-hunting.html)

larry_073 11-27-2011 06:17 PM

Favorite pump for upland hunting

What's everyone's favorite pump action to use for upland hunting ? Doing some browsing on the net , the common answer is the 870 but I am interested to hear what you guys say.

slimdaddy45 11-27-2011 08:10 PM

Well guess it depends on how much money you want to spend but an 870 is one of the best out there Browning is also a good gun but more money if you wanna go cheaper then theres the mossberg but for the money you cant beat an 870 and you can change barrels and use it for anything

Sheridan 11-28-2011 02:45 PM

If you polled 100 guys; 95 of them would say buy it !

Nothing wrong with owning an 870 !!!

Mite 11-28-2011 05:37 PM

The 870 is a very reliable gun with the Express being a cheaper version than the Wingmaster. Shotguns aren't that complicated and the pump is a reliable platform. You'll find other manufacturers like Winchester, Mossberg or NEF (made in China) often reliable and sometimes cheaper. The popularity of the 870 can have effects on the price.

I would go out and handle as many different guns as you can. Fit will determine if the gun is worth buying.

jerry d 11-29-2011 01:47 PM

I have 870 i bought in 1975.It came with a slug barrel and i purchased a 28" plain {no vent rib}modified choke.A few years ago i sent that barrel to Mike Orlen to install choke tubes.It made a great gun even better.I thought about buying Browning Citori O/U but i've killed more game with that 870 ........why fix what isn't broken!

KT29 11-29-2011 02:54 PM

When the temps drop way below freezing, I find I can't operate the safety on my Beretta O/U safely anymore. Then I pull out the old 870 wingmaster. It works in any condition very well. I'd use all season long, except I preferr to use a 20 ga. for uplands. Sometimes I wish I had an old wingmaster in a 20 ga. Can[t ever go wrong with an 870.:)

x-mountie 11-29-2011 04:51 PM

I have both aWinchester and Rem. 870. The Win. Model 12 in 20 ga. is my favourite upland gun, but the 870 mod. choke in 20 ga. has taken more than it's fair share of upland game birds and rabbitts. I would go with the 870.

Cessna Flyer 11-30-2011 11:46 AM

The 2 pump shotguns I have used the most are/were Mossberg 835 and the Remington 870, My son now uses the Mossberg.

larry_073 11-30-2011 05:27 PM

I have an 835 I use for turkey that I was planning on getting a different choke tube for to try on some clays. I never really thought of using it for pheasants or grouse mainly because it doesn't feel right when i swing it up to my shoulder ( as to simulate a flush in the field). I was planning on buying a Stoeger Condor o/u but a few friends asked me if I would consider a pump and I was just curious to see what you guys think.

Mite 12-01-2011 09:48 PM

Several considerations when choosing a pump vs a double or auto. Outside of fit, how quickly you normally take to set your gun to fire. If you can shoulder the gun quickly without thinking about it then you can generally get the shot off sooner. For me, weight and balance of the gun effects how quickly I can shoulder it. I like 20ga on pheasants and where I hunt, non-toxic shot is required. Having a quicker first shot is more likely to prevent cripples running very far. I've shot birds on the second shot but they were usually right at the edge of the gun, choke and shot effectiveness.

I'm probably the only one who shoots a 20ga o/u in my area. If I shot a pump or auto, I would go 12ga, 3" mag #2 (currently use 3" #4). Then I could take my time to shoulder properly due to able to reach out further. There has been many times which I wished I had a 12. I've seen many shots from others bring down birds at distances which I wouldn't even attempt but I get my chances at birds, so no complaints.

Which type of gun you choose will depend upon which will feel more comfortable to you.