HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   What is a good choke for grouse? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/350926-what-good-choke-grouse.html)

tankerchief 10-05-2011 02:18 AM

What is a good choke for grouse?

I have property in NY that has a pretty good grouse population and want to start chasing these great birds around. What is a good choke for grouse? I'm not using a dog just walking up on them.

Thanks in advance.

Sheridan 10-05-2011 09:19 AM

Modified is the best all around choke, unless your experience shows they are holding tight & getting up right next to you - in which case use a IC.

Don Fischer 10-06-2011 10:43 AM

In a 12ga, 16ga and 20ga, I'd go with IC. Cover is usually pretty and you need to get on them pretty quickly. To much choke and you could be blowing up birds. In my 28ga, 3/4oz shot, I have mod/full. Works out well because of the less shot. Not so well on longer shots. You might get everything into a 30" circle with it at 30yds, I think that the distences they use. But less shot makes it a less dense pattern. I'm going to try my 410 this year on them too. Also M/F. 1/2 oz shot.

sproulman 10-10-2011 06:44 PM

here in pa in early season with heavy brush, i use IC choke in my 12 ga.later when leaves come off and longer shots i go to IM .
if your gun does not use them, use CYL/MOD in place of those 2.
older guns usually came in those 2 chokes.
my beretta has 5 chokes from cyl/full/

i always use low brass 7 and 1/2 in early season and no.6 in winter when shots are 30 yds out or more
people like me that dont practice shooting need a wider pattern 12 ga.people who practice can use a tighter pattern and a smaller caliber shotgun like 20/28 ga .
so, using IC in 12 ga will get you more grouse.

mustad 10-11-2011 07:30 AM

I would use Improved Cyl/Modified.

Phil from Maine 10-11-2011 03:08 PM

WOW am I the only crazy one on here? I use full choke when the birds are holding tight and you can get fairly close to them without using dogs.. I like to knock them hard in the head then. This way you save the breast meat without getting many of the shot in it..

Now when I am running my setters I like Modified Choke for those wing shots.. There just something about wing shooting I love about it. I haven't been on the birds yet but plan on taking my son and the setters out for a great hunting day on grouse and wood****.. I have been seeing quite a few in the cuttings when going bowhunting.. My son can't wait for me to get those setters out..

Edcyclopedia 10-13-2011 04:37 PM

Improved Cyl in a 26" barrel w/#8 for Grouse, Rabbitt and Timberdoodle.
Later in the season when the leaves drop I'll put #8 --> 7 1/2 --> 7 1/2.

Fairly thick woods, so 40 yard shots are a maximum, Grouse & Timberdoodle fall pretty easy with a good patterned load for YOUR gun.

huntrfishr 10-14-2011 10:26 AM

Modified choke with 7 1/2 shots is good.
The more important thing is to practice skeet shooting with a gun that will come up naturally at the right shooting position.
You can shoot the same target shells using the same shots, that way your velocity is the same for instinctive shooting. Target shells have enough inertia for Grouse.
I shoot a single shot 20 gauge and it is a sweet gun for upland.
I don't find it fun shooting them on the ground or sitting on a tree.
Good luck on this.

Murdy 10-18-2011 01:07 PM

"WOW am I the only crazy one on here? I use full choke when the birds are holding tight and you can get fairly close to them without using dogs.. I like to knock them hard in the head then. This way you save the breast meat without getting many of the shot in it.."

Yeah, we used to pretty much do that, except we'd use single shot .410's with 5 or 6 shot & aim a little high -- plenty of good meat.

sproulman 10-19-2011 09:10 PM

if you dont practice shooting,use SKEET/IMCYL chokes.thats me.of all chokes i like IC the best for grouse/pheasants.
7 and 1/2 low brass for grouse and 6 shot high brass for pheasants.
as season goes on and shots are longer,6 shot high brass for grouse and 5 shot high brass for phea
sants.
then i move up to FULL CHOKE .
if grouse is close i just let it get out more before i shoot.