HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Brand new to the sport (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/348694-brand-new-sport.html)

Uswitts 08-24-2011 05:58 PM

Brand new to the sport

Brand new to the sport and am looking for advice on where to start. Gear, technique, dogs, where to etc... Any advice is appreciated.

Mite 08-24-2011 10:21 PM

Hmm..Wow, where to start. Most has had mentors either their father, uncle or friend. That is where I would start. Finding a friend that is seasoned hunter. Much quicker to get you started and make memories. But if you have to start from scratch, the following you would have to learn:

1. Shotgunning. I don't how much you know about shooting but you have to learn to shoot a flying target. My recommendation for a new shooter would be a pump. You would need a lot of practice at the range.

2. Regulations. Read and know your regulations. What can you hunt, where can you hunt and what's the min. equipment you need.

3. Dogs. Fairly large subject. You don't actually need a dog but makes hunting a lot more fun. Also, a dog will increase your success rate in finding cripples tremendously as a lot of birds will run. There are two types of dogs; flushers and pointers. Each will need different types of training. Here, is where you don't want to take shortcuts. If someone claims you have to take your dog to the range or pop firecrackers or some such nonsense then nod & smile then walk away.

Most bird hunters I've met are fairly down to earth and are willing to give all types of advice. If you're willing to pay 1/2 for gas, many will take you along. You'll find advice and those will to teach at gun clubs, field trial clubs, ranges, etc.

As to actually hunting, its just a lot of walking carrying a shotgun.

Cessna Flyer 08-25-2011 12:56 AM

Were in VA are you? You are more than welcome to come down to my area or I can come up to your area and we can do a little hunting. What Mite said is good stuff, I will add you can't go wrong with a pump shotgun, if I am not using my blackpowder shotgun I either use my over and under 20ga or my 870

Sheridan 08-25-2011 09:38 AM

Go to a upland hunting preserve in your area one day, and "see" what it's all about ...............

I think you'll find most very approachable & helpful.

sproulman 09-06-2011 05:14 PM

join a sportsmans club in your area and ask to go hunting with someone there.
pay for half gas to go and you could get a lot of info.

here is my tips.
12 ga pump/semi shotgun with 26/28 length barrel.i like 28 INCH LENGTH.
get DOG if you are hunting by yourself.i like FIELD LABS .
but it cost a lot to own dog and takes up your time BUT its just plain fun having dog along in woods.

sproulman 09-06-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3838686)
Go to a upland hunting preserve in your area one day, and "see" what it's all about ...............

I think you'll find most very approachable & helpful.

good suggestion.

Sheridan 09-06-2011 05:59 PM

Sproul,

I think you just gave Witts about 30 + years of experience with your tips !

I like that !!!

Big Bullets 10-13-2011 08:12 AM

Lessons Learned

I am from PA and am not familiar with your area. Maybe you can benefit from my mistakes.

Most hunting fields are full of things that stick, grab and hurt. Get a decent pair of game pants. Whether leather or cloth faced, they will save your legs.

Also, make sure you have comfortable, well fitting and broken in boots. When I first started hunting, I made the mistake of using my left over military boots. Wet and blistered feet can ruin your day.

My hands paid the price when I pushed through brush so, get a pair of gloves that are shooting friendly.

Carry a good supply of water. You sweat more than you think even if it is cold.

Upland hunting was hunting to me for many years. I loved it and wish I could return to it. Enjoy!

Gary Rossiter 11-01-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mite (Post 3838585)
Hmm..Wow, where to start. Most has had mentors either their father, uncle or friend. That is where I would start. Finding a friend that is seasoned hunter. Much quicker to get you started and make memories. But if you have to start from scratch, the following you would have to learn:

1. Shotgunning. I don't how much you know about shooting but you have to learn to shoot a flying target. My recommendation for a new shooter would be a pump. You would need a lot of practice at the range.

2. Regulations. Read and know your regulations. What can you hunt, where can you hunt and what's the min. equipment you need.

3. Dogs. Fairly large subject. You don't actually need a dog but makes hunting a lot more fun. Also, a dog will increase your success rate in finding cripples tremendously as a lot of birds will run. There are two types of dogs; flushers and pointers. Each will need different types of training. Here, is where you don't want to take shortcuts. If someone claims you have to take your dog to the range or pop firecrackers or some such nonsense then nod & smile then walk away.

Most bird hunters I've met are fairly down to earth and are willing to give all types of advice. If you're willing to pay 1/2 for gas, many will take you along. You'll find advice and those will to teach at gun clubs, field trial clubs, ranges, etc.

As to actually hunting, its just a lot of walking carrying a shotgun.

Some excellent information here, but perhaps I can give some advice on dogs. First and foremost, absolutely a dog will make this a much more enjoyable experience. You see stories everywhere of hunters and trainers alike really enjoying this shared experience with man's best friend. I know we use labs, and we love em'. It's what we go with, but everyone needs to make sure they have their dog that's accustomed to their style of hunting, so before you figure out which dog you want, you'll want to figure out your hunt style. Search around the forum here for more information as everyone has their own 2 cents, but I'd go with a lab if I was giving my personal opinion.

jdweim 12-14-2011 05:50 AM

I am going to bring this thread back to life, as I am thinking about going for the first time next month. This year I have seen many grouse and looked up the season and it goes until Jan 31. So I was thinking about bringing my 1 year old weimaraner up with me and taking the rem. 870 12 ga. with me and seeing how it goes. I think it will really be more to see how the dog does, as he has only been to the woods once in his life (my family's private land)
So after reading the prior posts, it sounds like dress appropriatly, which will be dress for the cold most likely, this is WI. Bring water (I would think for myself and the dog).
I have done sporting clay and trap shooting, so I think I will do alright as far as my shooting goes.
Any other suggestions for Jan. grouse hunting
Anybody know how weims hold up in that weather, i know that shorthairs can have issues with the cold weather?