Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Brand new to the sport

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

JD,

You might want to try pheasants first or maybe quail.

More often you hear the wing beat of grouse as they slip away before you can even get your gun up !

Very challenging for even seasoned upland hunters !!!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Spike

sheridan, thanks for the tip, I will definatly keep that in mind...gotta double check the open seasons for those birds to see when they are open
All I know is the grouse scare the crap out of me when I am walking to my deer hunting stand when they take off and it sounds like I am being attacked by a helicopter

Last edited by jdweim; 12-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Spike

Has your dog been conditioned to gun fire yet? I wouldn't you to have your dog bolt at the sound of a shot cause he could be out of sight in seconds.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 AM
Spike

good point, maybe I will just take him up north and see if he gets into it at all
I havn't shot a gun around him yet, I know chainsaws don't bother him, but that is different
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I see a few wiems while jduging hunting tests. Wiems hold up just fine. You might want to consider joining a NAVHDA chapter as chapter training sessions will help you train that dog and expose it to birds.
Other this to consider is maybe a professional trainer. There is one in yoru area - PM me.

And I also hunt around Peshtigo...

JW
Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Spike

yeah i havn't decided whether to have him professionally trained or not, as I have never really got into bird hunting, not sure that i want to drop the money on it yet
honestly i would prob. be just as happy to let him go sniff stuff out and walk with him as i would actually hunting. but we'll see
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Need birds to train bird dogs !