HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Interested in getting into bird hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/346292-interested-getting-into-bird-hunting.html)

rengawj 06-30-2011 05:17 PM

Interested in getting into bird hunting

I was looking at getting into bird hunting. I have hunted most of my life. I hunted rabbits a lot with beagles. I now have 4 girls and if I get out I usually bow hunt deer. We don't really eat red meat anymore, so I was trying to think of a way to pass on the tradition of hunting to my girls somehow and thought birds might be a good option. I love hunting with dogs and was looking at Brittanys. Any advice you have for a beginner would be appreciated. Thanks

sconnyhunter 06-30-2011 06:51 PM

Small game and birds are fantastic ways to get younger member interested in Hunting. Getting a dog also will help teach them more respect, and responsibility.

Sheridan 06-30-2011 07:11 PM

The only way to train bird dogs, is with birds.

The same is true with new young hunters.

Arrange for a "canned" hunt locally; if after that, you still have interested bird hunters, you'll know it !

rengawj 07-01-2011 05:58 AM

Sounds good. I have never been bird hunting before either. I've shot clay pigeons a few times. But nothing else. So not sure what a "canned hunt" is. I need advice on just about everything. Guns, shells, just general advice for someone looking to get into bird hunting. Thanks

Sheridan 07-01-2011 08:57 AM

Here is a good place to start;

http://www.uplandhunting.com/

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Hunting...0/Default.aspx

Remember to make it FUN for all concerned.

psandhu 07-01-2011 11:50 AM

I suggest dove hunting. Your season starts in 2 months. There is lots of shooting and generally alot more action than say quail, pheasant, chukar, or grouse hunting. Kids like action and shooting. They don't want to walk around for miles and only see 1 or 2 birds. On a good dove hunt, a kid can easily go through 2~3 boxes of shells. They're going to get a thrill out of trying to hit the birds and making the gun go bang. The limit's are pretty generous too, probably 12~15 birds a day. Also the ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Mite 07-02-2011 03:02 AM

There's too much information to write up a guide in any forums. Since you already hunt rabbits (w/ a shotgun I hope) you should be familiar with shot choice and shotgun. Here are the things you should pick up:

1. Hunting regulation phamplet - should be available at your local sporting good store.

2. A book on dog training if you are going to adopt a dog. Training a bird dog is slightly different than training beagles. I would recommend

'How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves: Taking Advantage of Early Conditioned Learning' - by Joan Bailey. One con about the book mentions banging pots and pans. I do not like using that method; better to use it for recall signals.

'Best Way to Train Your Gun Dogs: The Delmar Smith Method' -by Bill Tarant.

NAVHDA blue book

Read the book first then use it for reference.

The best way to learn is the find someone who hunts. Even better if they have a dog.

Alvasin 07-06-2011 05:52 AM

No matter how much cover you push, without a well trained dog by your side you can forget about pumping up a rooster, no matter what state you hunt in. A well trained upland dog can be an invaluable tool for the pheasant enthusiast. What does it take to encourage a young pup to be the next pheasant king? Unlike waterfowl hunters, training an upland dog doesn't take near as extensive of a training program, just the right training. The first thing any hunting dog needs is obedience. You need to be able to call your dog off of a flyer or a runner for that matter. Next is the proper introduction to birds. Most importantly we need to bring out pups natural instincts as young as possible. There is no time too young to introduce your new pup to a wing or dead bird. This will be very important down the road. What comes after that can be learned in many good training books available today. Remember you may be better off starting over right, than trying to fight a lost cause!
Wholesale Dealers

rengawj 07-11-2011 05:45 AM

This is very helpful. Thanks

footshooter 07-11-2011 04:20 PM

I decided a couple of years ago that I waned to start chasing some birds as well. Living in Ohio there are not many birds to be found so most people rely on pay hunts (self included)....

That being said when I first got Jax (GSP) I had a buddy from work that hunts birds with his father, the help and advice they gave me was worth more than all of the books and video's that I have found ( there is alot, and they are helpful). Just seeing the pre-season work with releasing birds and getting my pup interested early.

I agree with Alvasin, get working on basic obedience and go from there. My pup was chasing every butterfly that flew by untill he got introduced to real birds. it was allot of fun watching him develop, and he is a pretty fair bird dog now at 2. And it's a bit more excersize than sitting in a tree all day.