Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

hunting preserves!!

Old 02-12-2002, 10:26 PM

Default RE: hunting preserves!!

SCOTTSMAN, U MUST BE TALKIN ABOUT BARREN FORK. I TOOK MY TWO BRITTANY'S THERE A WEEK AGO TODAY. FOUND OUT THAT I HAD NOT PREPARED THEM ENOUGH FOR A LOT OF GUN FIRE. AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR THEY WENT OVER TO THE SUBURBAN AND LAID DOWN. THIS IS A PROBLEM I HAVE TO WORK ON. PRESERVES ARE GREAT FOR KEEPING YOUR DOG(S) AND YOUR SHOOTIN EYE IN SHAPE THOUGH.

Edited by - GOODEE on 02/12/2002 23:34:12
Old 02-13-2002, 02:27 PM

HEY HOSS--YOU KNOW ALSO IT'S NEVER A WASTE OF TIME WHEN YOU CAN GET OUT WITH YOUR DOGS AND WATCH EM WORK. ALMOST NOTHIN BETTER. AND I'LL BET THEY'LL LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:25 AM

I just hunted a game preserve here in Northern VA yesterday. We only hunted chuckers but we had a few stray Pheasants from one of the previous hunts.

Preserves are ok, but if your used to huntin wild quail and pheasants out West, it's a little dissapointing. It's like being used to skiing the Mtn's in Colorado and then trying to ski the man-made snow in the East.

But, it sure beats chores around the house!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:22 PM

I get out to a preserve about 6-10 times a year. My lab lives for it. Wisconsin has very few pockets of wild birds (PHEASANT) so this is the way I have to go. We just bought some property near the Iowa border and am looking forward to hitting one of the two Mecca's of Pheasant hunting this fall for some wild birds. The three preserves I hunt are great for keeping my lab in shape and I will be patronizing them hard before I leave for Iowa.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:51 PM

Goodee yep..Barren Fork! Just tried a new one in Montgomery City, biggest birds I've ever seen, we killed 2 hen pheasant that weighed 4.5 lbs a peice. And the roosters were bigger!