Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
New Dog ~ Time to start training! >

New Dog ~ Time to start training!

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New Dog ~ Time to start training!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

I raised this breed for many years in the 70's and you will have a blast with that little dog. You have already gotten some great advise and you and the dog will be just fine.
Keep it fun .
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the kind words everyone, Me and the pup have been having alot of fun lately.

She gets to be a handful sometimes, This breed really is hyper compared to some of the other dogs ive been around.

The main thing I need to remember is that shes just a puppy, and to keep the training fun. She is doing great so far and has the retrieve bit down. I picked up a training dummy dove and she loves playing with it!

I'll be picking up some live birds whenever the local agriculture supply store is in stock.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Don't push too hard when yard training. Too much pressure, especially on a pup, and you will see some indication, an out, of the begining of the dog shutting down. In field training, the dog should really be enjoying itself, so you are only limited by the time and finances.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Spike

I picked up some dog training supplies while I was at the Cabelas store this past weekend. I got a few training dummies, birds scents, new collar and lead to start "whoa" training her when its time, whistle, and all the works.

I also picked up a couple Dvd's on pointing dogs and pheasant dog training. I cant remember the titles off hand but the first movie I watched was pretty helpfull.

She is really starting to get big now and is showing real progress in the field. The other evening she was pointed up at a brush pile out on the ditch line, I figured she was after a stick or mouse as usual but decided to walk over and investigate... Right as I walked up 4 or 5 dove flushed out of the sage brush and bella was on chase after them!

This is the first real interest in birds she has shown so far, And must say she did an excellent job.

until next time ~
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

*smile*

I remember when I first took my dog to a game farm. First real exposure to game birds. The next day, I took her out, she went 'hunting' alone when she normally stuck close.

Looks like you have access to a large amount of land. Just make sure you keep your pup in sight. When they start 'hunting', nothing will stop them. Enjoy.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Spike

Bella is turning out to be an excellent dog and companion

She loves to get out and run in the fields, and cant get enough of fetching up the bird dummies. She is right at about 5 months now and is getting very big! looks like she is going to be a larger size gsp, My brother picked up a pup from a different breeder about the same time as me and it isn't nearly as large as mine.

The pup is starting to mellow out a bit, but I can still hardly keep up with her sometimes.

Can't wait till this fall

On a side note, My hunting rig is starting to come together, I will be slapping a lift kit on it this week some time. So far I've invested a little under $500 on this truck, including the purchase price!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nulle
What a great pup and you are getting good advice and both you and the dog will be fine.
great looking dog!....I can't really give you any sound advice but I can tell you that once i learned to relax a little we were both learning more than I ever thought posible!..She taught me ALOT!!!!
Again, that is beautiful GSP...
Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Spike

I'll echo the advice of most others to keep it fun.
When you said the dog was hyper at times it reminded me of my first dog that we had to put down about a year ago. He was a lab/springer cross. Hyper as anything. One thing that worked for me was to give him some exercise before starting the training session. I would ride my bike and he would run along side me. Not a grueling run, just a nice jog for him for about 15-20 minutes. This would calm him down and get us both some exercise.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Spike

great looking dog!....I can't really give you any sound advice but I can tell you that once i learned to relax a little we were both learning more than I ever thought posible!..
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Spike

Looks like you have access to a large amount of land. Just make sure you keep your pup in sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.