HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   clay pigeon shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/339706-clay-pigeon-shooting.html)

huntingkidPA 02-06-2011 05:07 AM

clay pigeon shooting

i was just at the shotgun range yesterday and wow did i suck!!! i was using 8 shot in my 20 gauge full choke and i think it was me but i have know idea what i was doing. i hit like 5 out of 18. Since you guys all hunt birds and this is what this section is for, im sure you could give me some tips on my form and follow thru, because when i go grouse hunting, the areas i go you are lucky if you flush 3 a day, i want to be able to hit them. Should i switch to a different choke? most of my shots where probably around 20-25 yards. thanks

JW 02-06-2011 06:11 AM

Did you do Trap or Skeet?

huntingkidPA 02-06-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3769552)
Did you do Trap or Skeet?

we just use a thrower, and usually i was stand there with my eyes closed and say pull, and he will throw it any which way to make it as real as possible like if a bird would flush in the woods.

Dakota Swede 02-06-2011 07:54 AM

Do you have a real trap club in your area?

huntingkidPA 02-06-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Swede (Post 3769623)
Do you have a real trap club in your area?

sadly, no. maybe its just cause i havent shot in a while cause last year i hit 95 % of them. but really any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Ruddyduck 02-06-2011 10:22 AM

Go with mod and i.c. then you have to see how your shotgun fits. Get some big piece of cardboard and put an aimpoint on it. Have it mounted on something about shoulder level. Stand 16 yards away mount the gun just like you would hunting while shooting the aimpoint. On the 2nd or third mount shoot when gun is mounted just like in hunting . Do it 3 or 4 times and see if you gun shhots where you look.
If you're in Pa there should be someplace to shoot skeet near you. Go to it and practice you'll find people who can help you out. Skeet Field is probably the single best place to learn.

jerry d 02-06-2011 10:29 AM

Do you have choke tubes or is it a fixed choke?If you have tubes put in a modified or improved cyl. I use my pump to shoot skeet with a skeet choke tube in it I was hit 17-18 with it out of 25.I shoot skeet sharpen my upland shooting skills.

JW 02-06-2011 11:13 AM

Do as ruddyduck has informed you to do as that is number 1. Pattern that gun to make sure the gun fit is right and you are hitting what you are looking at.

JW

Sheridan 02-06-2011 11:54 AM

First use a skeet choke.

Second, mount the gun............success breeds confidence, you can shoot low gun with your eyes closed once you feel you don't suck anymore !

Lastly, 98% of the misses are behind; miss in front.

The follow through is everything, it's all about your shot stream.

Just like with golfing; 98% of the putts that don't make it to the hole, don't go in ! LOL

huntingkidPA 02-06-2011 12:45 PM

thanks everyone. i will put in my mod choke. the thing is i usually don't get to the range to often. Would it help if i just went outside with my shotgun empty, pretend i'm shooting at the birds that fly around my area and follow them with my gun, like i was following a pheasant or grouse when i flush them and about to shoot at them?