Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Best Shotgun for Upland Bird Hunting and Why >

Best Shotgun for Upland Bird Hunting and Why

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best Shotgun for Upland Bird Hunting and Why

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default Best Shotgun for Upland Bird Hunting and Why

Hey Guys,

Looking to buy a new shotgun for next year and I wanted to get your guys advise. I have a few shotguns now that I have won or purchased through the years, but now I have the means to purchase a descent gun. I have never owned an automatic, but that is what I am leaning towards. I know my question is very open and there is no easy answer, I just want to get your opinions. I will be using it the most for Quail but I plan on going on a guided Pheasant Hunt with my wife.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whichever one is perfectly in line with your "line of sight" when you shoulder it.

Now hurry up and shoot; you might just have time for a double !
Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Choose the proper length. A shotgun is not a shotgun is not a shotgun, if there is such a phrase. Some shotguns are longer than others while some are more compact. For upland hunting, a shotgun should be no longer than 4 feet. Again, if you are larger and stronger and feel that a slightly longer gun may be better for you, you may have success. However, some shotguns are simply too long for upland hunting.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

If your looking for flavor (brand Name) Remington, Bennelli, Ruger, Winchester, Mossberg, and a few others are good guns. But you need one that fits you when shouldered or you will not hit anything, don't over look an over and under from the same manuf I mentioned
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Simply as stated. They make so many that's why there is no 'best'. Now, most versatile would be a 12 ga. But I would not hesitate to use a 20 or even a 28 ga for the occasional pheasant hunt. That is unless the you were hunting wildly flushing birds where long shots were the norm. But for quail the 28 ga would be the nuts.
As for a particular shotgun, one that mounts correctly and 'fits' you the best.
My personal preference is a nice side by side.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I had a Winchester 12 ga that had a 28" barrel and I was using a modified choke and it was a lot of gun in the woods. I got a Ruger 12 ga O/U with a 26" barrel and I am using IC on top and MOD on bottom and I hit much better with it now. The Winchester didn't fit me nearly as well as the Ruger does either. So as others have said, get a gun that fits you and more is not always better.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt wild pheasants with a 12ga Winchester 101 Diamond Grade with ext. chokes. If I am hunting pen raised birds and not so wild or doves, I use a Browning Citori in 20ga with 3" chambers.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

Like previously stated , there is no "best" one shotgun. Shoot what fits and feels best and you have confidence in.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Ithaca 37 with 28" barrel light, bottom load, bottom eject and works in all types of weather.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Spike

For upland; I use a Ugartechea SXS 12 gauge with IC/Mod chokes at 28'". English stock and splinter forearm with double triggers. A pleasure to carry, just over 6 pounds. I shoot 1 oz. of #6 for pheasants, 1 oz. of #7's for dove and quail - all handloads. It shoots like a kiss - SWEET!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.