Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b >

Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b

Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Marcus,

Now that you read all the posts.....................take your yellow Lab out hunting every chance you get !

You'll be surprised what the both of you can learn !!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Spike

Check out this utube, in case you want evidence.

http://dogwebs.net/RedLabel/index.asp?ID=13
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

If my lab (whose never been trained to hunt) smells an animal in the field, he gets in the pointer stance and waits for my command to pursue the animal.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every time my lab comes across a grouse or wood**** (we have alot of them) while shed hunting he stops and points.Pike
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Doc E
Exactly who is it that says Labs are to be bred purely to be Flushers and not Pointers ?
The breed description says that Labs are Retrievers -- it says nothing about whether they should Flush or Point.
The good PL breeders breed to KEEP all of the things that Labs are famous for and to enhance the inherent (genetic) ability to point.

How about the person that only wants (or can have) only one dog ?

Personally, I love the fact that I can take my dog out and have him sit quietly in the Duck Blind and make icy retrieves and then take the same dog out and have him hunt, find, point and retrieve Upland game.

Me thinks you need to study breed descriptions and standards before you post up anymore nonsense.

UH HR MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey --- who also points.

in todays world its too expensive and time consuming to have 2 dogs.
small american lab that points could be very nice thing .
lab just can do MORE than average dog can other than hunting.
that is what i like.
they are just AVERAGE all around dog that does things fairly good.
only part with lab is heavy coat that tires them out fairly quick in warmer temps.
they are 2 hr hunting dog unless you exercise them a lot and have stream around.
i hunt my grouse near streams but 2 hrs is most i get from toby .

Last edited by sproulman; 10-20-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My lab came from a back ground with a Kellogg pedigree,was funny when I got him at 8 weeks he pointed right away to a bird in the brush when i got home and let him run in our yard,i was excited about getting Sam and forgot about the Kellogg in his back ground but now he is eight and he just likes being over water or out in the field,never really trained him like I should of but he is what he is...A Good all around bird dog and best friend(nxt to the wife and children of coarse).....
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dad got a black lab a few years back, {quite a few actually} and she was the funnest dog I ever hunted around.She would actually point every time when pheasant hunting unless the bird ran then she immediately changed to flushing.You could just as easily take her out to retrieve ducks and geese while pass shooting them.

I now have a little lab pup about 12 weeks old that Ive taken along a few times.She also seems to point somewhat when she smells something she likes, her tail goes out, hair on her neck go straight up, and her front foot comes up, not a full point but a good indicator she smells something.

Now if we only had pheasants around here she could chase them and quit alerting every time she finds coyote crap
Old 02-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a Lab that exhibits point and you want to enhance that aspect, get the book "Training the Pointing Labrador", by Julie Knutson.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

when toby my lab was say 1 year old he started pointing.some called it STANDING.
i can tell you this,IF I HAD USED A ROPE ON TOBY AND TRAINED HIM TO WHOA ON BIRDS,i promise you he would have pointed every bird .
just yesterday i have toby pointing a red fox from inside my home.
i took his right foot and lifted it and said,POINT.i did this 4 times.
now last night i came out and turned on the back porch light.
there was fox.
i looked at toby and he had his right leg up to his side in staunch point. no moving.

that quick he learned to lift his right leg and HOLD that position.

labs are one of best dogs i have ever had or lightly trained to hunt.
if i knew how to put tobys pick on here, i would show you him pointing.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by petasux
Dad got a black lab a few years back, {quite a few actually} and she was the funnest dog I ever hunted around.She would actually point every time when pheasant hunting unless the bird ran then she immediately changed to flushing.You could just as easily take her out to retrieve ducks and geese while pass shooting them.

I now have a little lab pup about 12 weeks old that Ive taken along a few times.She also seems to point somewhat when she smells something she likes, her tail goes out, hair on her neck go straight up, and her front foot comes up, not a full point but a good indicator she smells something.

Now if we only had pheasants around here she could chase them and quit alerting every time she finds coyote crap
most lab pups will do as you said. they have it in them to HOLD but have more of not holding in them.so they like to flush.
if you put check cord on that pup,GET HIM AROUND LOTS OF BIRDS WHILE ON CHECK CORD ,you will have pointing lab.
i seen it with all my labs i have had for 46 yrs.
its in most labs ,you just have to bring it out even tho labs were not bred for pointing.

they will POINT and hold if you train them to do it.i seen POINTING DOGS NOT POINT ALSO.they flushed.
this is why i like small lab so much,they are very easy to train and great in home.