Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b >

Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Spike

Default Can a yellow lab be used to point in upland bird hunting? Or can you just go upland b

I have a yellow lab but not a german shorthair or anything like that but can u just go upland bird hunting with a yellow lab? or do you need a pointer?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Spike

You can use a lab but most of them will just flush and not point the bird. I have hunted over alot of them I like my Britt more because he dose point but labs do a very good job upland bird hunting as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pointers point and flushers flush.
Both are fun & effective -- just depends on what you like.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Spike

I use my labs for all my upland; dove, Dusky Grouse, pheasant and quail. The can do it, well. My dogs all flush and I like that. An aquaintance has a YLF from pointing lines but it doesn't point; it does find him birds, though. Of course, I use my labs for waterfowl.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most labs are considered "flushers". However, there are yellow lab blood lines which have the "pointing" trait and advertised as such. Sometimes, I've seen standard yellow labs point. I think if they have the natural trait, they can be trained to point.
Mine have been "flushers" and strong retrievers / hard workers, not pointers.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Labs are great flushers and should be used as such and if ya want a pointer get a Pointer. I get more then a little aprehensive when they start breeding dogs to do things they are not bred to do.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nulle
Labs are great flushers and should be used as such and if ya want a pointer get a Pointer. I get more then a little aprehensive when they start breeding dogs to do things they are not bred to do.
Exactly who is it that says Labs are to be bred purely to be Flushers and not Pointers ?
The breed description says that Labs are Retrievers -- it says nothing about whether they should Flush or Point.
The good PL breeders breed to KEEP all of the things that Labs are famous for and to enhance the inherent (genetic) ability to point.

How about the person that only wants (or can have) only one dog ?

Personally, I love the fact that I can take my dog out and have him sit quietly in the Duck Blind and make icy retrieves and then take the same dog out and have him hunt, find, point and retrieve Upland game.

Me thinks you need to study breed descriptions and standards before you post up anymore nonsense.

UH HR MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey --- who also points.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Nonsensical By-Laws of Sporting Dogs as defined by The Sporting Dogs Nonsensical Law Makers:

1. All owners of sporting dogs shall use bang-a-pot procedures to produce a non gunshy dog.
(a) If bang-a-pot procedure shall fail, owners shall use the take'em-to-gun-range method.
(b) If procceding shall both fail, substanial-noise-producing-fireworks method shall be used.

2. Springer Spaniels shall be considered the best and only dog capable enough to be considered a Sporting Dog. All else shall be not be considered.

3. Labradors shall not point.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Spike

Default my lab points all instinct

My lab stryker forces bird bomber,points all upland birds,honors my buddys pointers,is rock solid and is trained on hand signals,whistle commands.KILLER duck dog. He started pointing his first hunt never quit.He is so smart he will flush birds in thick cover but lock solid in open cover.Lots of hard duck training,but i cant take any credit for the pointing,all him and instinct.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Spike

Labs like any other bird dog will point if the chase(flush) is taken from them. The style and efficiency with which they do it will vary. Pointing breeds are not normally used as flushers in the traditional sense because they hunt at distances that would not allow the hunter a shot. My advice would be, take your lab out and hunt and enjoy.

Brent
www.doublegunbirdguides.com

Last edited by dblgun; 06-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.