Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Kansas Pheasant Trip Success >

Kansas Pheasant Trip Success

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Kansas Pheasant Trip Success

Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default Kansas Pheasant Trip Success

I got back to Maryland last night from our annual family & Friends pheasant hunting trip out west to Ness City, KS and it was a great trip.

My family in the midwest is unfortunately getting smaller but we have a lot of friends from MD that make the trip. 11 hunters total and 9 from MD. Three trucks so we had three blockers at all times. We were able to get 59 birds which is our best per person count so far (10 years out west). I would say that we saw 5 hens to every 1 rooster but we had a lot of places where we would flush 4-5 roosters at the same time. Not the best scenario when most of us shoot O/U shotguns unless we are blocking.

We had a hard time finding them and we normally hunt milo as our go to crop but our cousins had a lot of wheat and corn planted this year. We found them in the CRP fields and when we found them we found them in groups of 50-75 birds. We missed a lot more than any of the guys would tell you but we had a great time! I will try to get some pics up when I get a chance. I have been bird hunting with a shotgun since I have been 9 (31 years old now) and I love this trip!!!

We have been putting this trip on for years since the quail in Northeast Kansas started going downhill about ten years ago and it was a once in a lifetime trip that has become an annual event.

Here is a picture unfortunately everyone was not ready. This was the first afternoon.

This is a bad pic of the first mornings harvest.

And a Mulie shot on the farm the last daw we were there for good measure.

Last edited by Hunter MD; 12-07-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Spike

that must be nice! i wish we still had birds around here like there use to be
Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like a great time!