Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

bird knife?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Spike

Garden pruning shears..avil type not shear type action.. cleaned literally 1000's of pheasants over 20 years that way never did use a knife.. knives way to slow and dangerous.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mite
I grab hold of the tail feathers, pull out the feathers below the breast which pulls the other layer of skin along with it. Grab the breast and the tail feathers and pull until it opens a cavity. Stick two fingers in the cavity and pull out the gizzard carefully. Everything should come with it except the heart. Reach in and pull the heart out. No knife required. No stepping on wings required. In the kitchen that's another story. One in which I'm fairly clueless. I just skin and slow cook.
Any of you ever do the method with the bird on its back, spread the wings, step on the wings as close to the breasts as possible. Grab the legs and pull up? Gives you a breasted bird, then we just use a scissors to cut off the legs after you have pulled the skin back on them.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck_Slayer
Any of you ever do the method with the bird on its back, spread the wings, step on the wings as close to the breasts as possible. Grab the legs and pull up? Gives you a breasted bird, then we just use a scissors to cut off the legs after you have pulled the skin back on them.
Saved me from writing this

X2
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Spike

I hate sharpening knives so I use a Gerber EAB. It uses regular
utility blades. I even found serrated blades for it. I have used it for 3 grouse seasons and an very pleased with it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/46
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Spike

I am partial to the Linder-Messer Buffalo Skinner. It's a nice knife that I actually use for all my prey. Sometimes I also use a little ulu I grabbed in Alaska.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Gerber game shears (scissors)! Used knives years ago until I learned of the game shears. Like others have said; snip the wings, head, then butt/tail. Skin. And then I do one more thing: snip down the back bone on each side. (I keep a knife on me though in field if it's really warm out and I gutting is necessary) I cut out the back bone so I don't have to eat arround the vertabrae. I cook mine in the crock pot...meat usually falls off the bone...no vertabrae to pick around with this cleaning method.

Last edited by GSPsnFORDs; 08-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.