Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Field Labs

Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Spike

Default Field Labs

I was wondering what people think about Labradors. I have read through many articles and threads. Obviously there are many opinions about what they excel at and where they may have weaknesses.

I may be getting a dog and have been researching just about every hunting breed from rat terriers to bull arabs and back. My question today has more to do with dogs that would perform well in New England, and maybe out west (I will be in New England for at least 2 more years).

So, what would I hunt? Grouse and waterfowl. A lab seems to make sense, obviously for the waterfowl. My main question is whether or not I could hunt grouse with a Lab?

I know this might be a good topic for the dogs section but I feel it most specifically applies to upland game hunting.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN LAB will do good on grouse.
problem with lab is his heavy coat. heat in fall is tough on lab.

most serious hunters get 2 dogs.
1 for ducks other for grouse.
here are combos.
lab/setter
lab/brittany
lab /gsp

now as most know i have lab for everything.why because i only want 1 dog and toby is as close as i can get to the 1 dog thing.
lab will do everything well, NOT BEST but will do good.
if lab is not conditioned before season well,you will only get 1 hr of hunting grouse out of him or her.around water they will hunt ALL DAY.

heat is tough on labs.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

I have seen some of your posts. Makes sense to me.

So a lab in this instance would be worked in close and would flush?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

labs dont range far. about 30 yds max and around 20 yds normal.yes, they FLUSH ,thats natural for them.labs look for you, I LIKE THAT.great bird dogs DONT look for you, they range out far and they HUNT.i like a dog THAT LOOKS FOR ME.then makes sure he is in front of me hunting.

LABS DO THIS ..........

with flushing dog on grouse YOU HAVE TO BE READY.gun up in air ready all time.
tobys tail starts going in circle.if it does,boy am i ready.

pheasants today hunted will RUN.this is where a lab shines.
wild grouse run too.sooooooooo,if lab flushes grouse at 20 yds you have shot.

BUT YOU HAVE TO BE READY.that is exciting too.

HEAT IS HARD ON LAB,FOR SURE.........

do a SEARCH of DOC ERICKSON ,IS A POINTING LAB GOOD FOR GROUSE.he has article on net.

take care sproul

Last edited by sproulman; 08-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
labs dont range far. about 30 yds max and around 20 yds normal.yes, they FLUSH ,thats natural for them.labs look for you, I LIKE THAT.great bird dogs DONT look for you, they range out far and they HUNT.i like a dog THAT LOOKS FOR ME.then makes sure he is in front of me hunting.

LABS DO THIS ..........

with flushing dog on grouse YOU HAVE TO BE READY.gun up in air ready all time.
tobys tail starts going in circle.if it does,boy am i ready.

pheasants today hunted will RUN.this is where a lab shines.
wild grouse run too.sooooooooo,if lab flushes grouse at 20 yds you have shot.

BUT YOU HAVE TO BE READY.that is exciting too.

HEAT IS HARD ON LAB,FOR SURE.........

do a SEARCH of DOC ERICKSON ,IS A POINTING LAB GOOD FOR GROUSE.he has article on net.

take care sproul
I agree with Sproul, a lab would be a good choice for what you want to hunt. Also carry water for the dog in warmer weather, and you will have a great time.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gunn
I have seen some of your posts. Makes sense to me.

So a lab in this instance would be worked in close and would flush?
remember we usually only hunt 10 weeks a year here in pa.thats fall/late winter.
dog has to be able to hunt cold too.
but what do you do reat of year?
with toby i can play in river and walk rough stuff with him with strong feet.we go on bike rides together. he runs along side me for 3 miles on soft dirt roads,he hunts along way too.
i got that idea from DOC E .
other dogs most cant swim and they dont retrieve.lot cant take 10 degree cold in feb with wind blowing,coyotes howling,bears ,bobcats,cougars,fox trees rubbibg in wind, limbs falling,laural moving,deep snow and walking at mignight in dark with full moon in feb at 20 degrees.

how many dogs can do this.SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN FIELD LAB can do all of above.

females can hunt longer than a male do to smaller size but if male is trained in good condition,i dont see a difference.
we had females that were 55 pds and they seemed to hunt longer than males that went to 80 pds.heat bothers both.

i thought about shaving the hair off toby in early oct grouse season then just let it grow in as season got colder.

but i dont think folks would like that and i dont know if its good idea anyhow.
carry a garden sprayer and spray your lab down or hunt near stream.i hunt near streams in warm weather .......
Old 09-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I agree completely with you about Labs. My 15 year old Springer is retired from hunting and I would like to find a field lab. Would you have any idea where I could. My idea of a hunting dog is to be kept very family oriented. An inside dog with plenty of outside activity and the ability to go everywhere with you that is feasible. (Not inside cars during summer, too hot, but OK for winter,) That is how our Springer was raised, a family member. Which I admit was trying at times during the puppy stage. I would have to wait till our Springer has passed on. Old dogs just don't get along with friendly pups. Or would love to take an older dog, under 4 yrs. from a rescue place. Of course, dog must hunt.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Teddee5
I agree completely with you about Labs. My 15 year old Springer is retired from hunting and I would like to find a field lab. Would you have any idea where I could. My idea of a hunting dog is to be kept very family oriented. An inside dog with plenty of outside activity and the ability to go everywhere with you that is feasible. (Not inside cars during summer, too hot, but OK for winter,) That is how our Springer was raised, a family member. Which I admit was trying at times during the puppy stage. I would have to wait till our Springer has passed on. Old dogs just don't get along with friendly pups. Or would love to take an older dog, under 4 yrs. from a rescue place. Of course, dog must hunt.
dont know what state you are in. search like HUNTING LAB BREEDERS IN PA.i live in pa.you want the labs that are used for upland not ones just for ducks .

here is great place that has labs,GROUSEWING LABS....
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks sproulman. I'm in Oklahoma. Hunt Ks. for pheasant, lots of public land available with lots of birds. & some Ok. but not much public for pheasant in Ok.
On Ok. the season starts for waterfowl the 1st week of Nov. Has a two week layoff around the 1st of Dec, then runs till Jan 31st . Pheasant starts about the same time and runs I believe in to Jan in Ks. So, long season here.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunn
I was wondering what people think about Labradors. I have read through many articles and threads. Obviously there are many opinions about what they excel at and where they may have weaknesses.

I may be getting a dog and have been researching just about every hunting breed from rat terriers to bull arabs and back. My question today has more to do with dogs that would perform well in New England, and maybe out west (I will be in New England for at least 2 more years).

So, what would I hunt? Grouse and waterfowl. A lab seems to make sense, obviously for the waterfowl. My main question is whether or not I could hunt grouse with a Lab?

I know this might be a good topic for the dogs section but I feel it most specifically applies to upland game hunting.

Thanks.
A Lab can do it all if you get a good one! First of all there are pointing and flushing Labs. Both will do Grouse as well as pheasant. I like the flushing Lab, that's just my preference, for all around bird hunting. As far as I'm concerned a lab can do it all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.