Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Single Shot Shotgun for hunting birds >

Single Shot Shotgun for hunting birds

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Single Shot Shotgun for hunting birds

Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by michaylovich
I am intersted in single shot or maybe pump.
Something practicall and inexpensive.
Prefferably a durable, practical and cheap.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive pump.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. A pump can do everything a single shot can do, and more. But a single shot can't do everything a pump can do.

You can put a long dowel in the magazine of a pump, and effectively make it a single shot. Or you can put a shorter dowel in there and make it a 2 shot shotgun.

As far as money goes, the pump is going to cost you a little more than a single shot, but the pump will be alot more versatile and useful in the long run.

Try to get something with a 3" chamber.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by psandhu
You're comparing apples to oranges here. A pump can do everything a single shot can do, and more. But a single shot can't do everything a pump can do.

You can put a long dowel in the magazine of a pump, and effectively make it a single shot. Or you can put a shorter dowel in there and make it a 2 shot shotgun.

As far as money goes, the pump is going to cost you a little more than a single shot, but the pump will be alot more versatile and useful in the long run.

Try to get something with a 3" chamber.
You are 100 percent correct. I started out completely focused on a single shot, however after reading some comments and doing some reasoning, i begun tiliting toward the inexpensive pumps do to the fact that for quail or ducks follow up shots are almost necessary. I never hunted these birds therefore i was debating whether the single shot would be usefull. I hunted mostly rabits, and a few boars. In these situations single shot would do the job fine. Even with turkeys and pheasant single shot should do the job.
There are plenty of cheap single shot guns with decent quality, nevetheless i had trouble finding a cheap pump or double barell shotgun of quality.
See i have a double barell izh43 k with custom engraving, from russia made during the ussr. Nevertheless it more of a relic, i need something cheap, reliable and sturdy, something that i dont have to worry about and use it to the limit. Not worry about scratches and the wood peeling off.
Sorry for the long messege i hope you get my point.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

i have a beautiful 1929 A5 lite.but i also have my first 410 singleshot which i use more than any 12ga.dont let anybody tell ya they arnt worth it.if you can hit with a singleshot yer good.most folks buy a pump cause they miss alot
Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

You can find some good used pumps for the same price as a new single shot. For $250 you can get a good used browning bps. They look great and are very reliable. 870's are good too.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 870 is the best recommendation if you want a no frills pump gun !
Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Spike

yea

i think its going to be single shot,

thanks for all the great advise guys.
Ill let you know on my final purchase.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Spike

After some contemplating i decided that thebest bird hunting gun is this

however i also like the following options

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=84550

or

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GS121280BS

or

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107905
Attached Thumbnails Single Shot Shotgun for hunting birds-ak47.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Personally, I would invest in a gun that will last you a few seasons. A single shot will only get frustrating after awhile even with ducks and pheasants. One shot may not bring them down especially ducks. Pheasants if wild, you won't see them that often so you want the best chances which will be a multi-shot shotgun.

Single shots are for practice and begginers. If you are serious about the sport, get a multi-shot. Even the better hunters who can hit 95% of what they aim at will use a multi-shot but will shoot only once but will have the other for just in case.

Also everybody misses. Whether its on that grouse flying inbetween the trees or that dove which has caught a tail wind and is zooming away at that worst angle. Depending upon where you hunt and the amount of game available, ideal shooting situations don't come up that often.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with a single shot. I still have my old Iver Johnson 20 gauge that I started out with 41 years ago. I still take it out on occasion as well. I have killed many Pheasents,Squirrels, Rabbits and just about anything else that flies or walks with it in my youth. It's still as reliable as it ever was.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by michaylovich
i need something cheap, reliable and sturdy

That's sort of like buying a car. There are three things most people look for when buying a car.

Is it affordable (cheap)?
Is it reliable (not break down)?
Does it go fast (sturdy)?

You can pick any two of the above criteria when buying a car, and it will meet your two expectations. But it won't meet your third. In other words, you can have an affordable and reliable car that doesn't go very fast. Or you can have a fast car that's very reliable, but it's not going to be cheap (affordable). You get the idea.

With that said, get a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 once you can afford it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.