Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Looking to pheasant hunt in SD >

Looking to pheasant hunt in SD

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking to pheasant hunt in SD

Old 04-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Spike

Default Looking to pheasant hunt in SD

Anyone have land, friends or neighbors that would allow a responsible hunter to pheasant hunt this fall? Also if you know of public land that is not hunted heavily please responds or email me privately if you wish.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted in murdo a couple times, we just ask a farmer to hunt his land and they usually are more than happy to let you hunt their property cause the birds eat their crops. We limited out every day. Send me a Pm if u have additional questions.....http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=133768

Looking to pheasant hunt in SD-f6d745a42f5b0398b7a0cf82a8a46f2a_2407.jpg
^^^^^^^^^^
Click on pic to see up close
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

That is the exception and not the rule in SD genesis. Most everyone charges a daily fee to hunt private land for pheasants. A lot of local guys can't even hunt without paying in pheasant country.

There is quite a bit of public land from Mitchell to Winner. If you come after the second weekend of the season there is little pressure on pulblic lands and plenty of birds.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Some people might have a problem with it, but it is legal to hunt the road right of way in SD. That equals a lot of public acres of prime habitat. Not very sporting in the traditional sense, but you can get a lot of shooting in that way. Make sure you close the car door and don't cross the ditch or the fence and you're legal. Stay away from houses too. A lot of birds move to the roads for the gravel and if you got a good eye and are quick on you're feet, you can really clean up.
I know I deserve all the comments I get for this, so don't hold back guys. I admit it, I've had my fun.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Spike

along these same lines. Where does one find a listing of private owned lands with "access to hunt" fee? Do Chambers of Commerce do this? Is it by word of mouth?

I know I'd be willing to pay access fee (within my limit ) - but don't have a clue where to start.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Spike

In Boscobel Wisconsin near the airport is a public hunting ground and the state releases pheasants once a week during pheasant season.
If you go to this public hunting ground on James Rd., you will drive right past my facility.
I raise and sell Ring Neck, and Black Mutant Pheasants. I also sell Bob White Quail.
Many people like the Black Mutants because this is a Pheasant that is unregulated. Can hunt them year round, dog train with them year round. These birds have metallic blue green coloration interspersed in their plumage and look great!

We started raising pheasants and quail to have a steady supply for training our American Brittany's and Llewellin Setters.
We sell puppies as companions in the field and for the family.

If you have any questions about dogs or birds give me a call.
608-732-3557 ask for Kevin.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cataraft
Some people might have a problem with it, but it is legal to hunt the road right of way in SD. That equals a lot of public acres of prime habitat. Not very sporting in the traditional sense, but you can get a lot of shooting in that way. Make sure you close the car door and don't cross the ditch or the fence and you're legal. Stay away from houses too. A lot of birds move to the roads for the gravel and if you got a good eye and are quick on you're feet, you can really clean up.
I know I deserve all the comments I get for this, so don't hold back guys. I admit it, I've had my fun.
The first time I hunted SD was in 2007. A buddy and I actually walked alot of road ditches. We ended up getting most of our 23 birds hunting this way. I admit we did get a couple the way described above the legal way. There were alot of pheasants that year. I hunted there in 2008 and 2009 and its whole different ball game now. Most ditches are cut for hay and there seemed to be alot less birds (where we hunt anyway). We've hunted the same area 3 seasons and have made a few connections. We usually get access to some private land without paying the big bucks. We've also found a few good public spots. I enjoy pheasant hunting, but I cannot afford to pay upwards of $150 to shoot 3 birds. I'll save that money for big game hunting. It takes a little work and you may not be guaranteed your limit, but you can still have a good hunt the old-fashioned way. I've found that what most consider a bad day of hunting is SD is better than a good day most other places.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

what i am going to do is find someone SOMEDAY in SD that wants to come to pa to hunt bear or deer.they would stay with me and me/toby would stay with them to save money and have better idea where to hunt.

with dad in nursing home, i cant do it yet but i will find someone too work a trip.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

What about the Indian Reservations. Anyone know what they charge?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

well, i happen to be moving to Pierre in a few months. Maybe i'll be able to find some public land and let you guys know about it. And swapping a hunt as mentioned above would be nice. More to come in a few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.