Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Looking to pheasant hunt in SD >

Looking to pheasant hunt in SD

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking to pheasant hunt in SD

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Forget SD. Instead, go to Kansas. They usually have a million acres of CRP land to hunt in addition to their own public lands. Free of charge and they print an atlas every year of huntable land. Cost you around $80.00 ANUALLY INSTEAD OF $100.00 FOR TWO WEEKS IN sd.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vadeerkiller
What about the Indian Reservations. Anyone know what they charge?

Not sure what they charge but be careful. Required to have a Native American guide and no one regulates it. Could end up driving around for a few days not seeing a bird. You need a tribal tag to hunt reservation land and I have no idea what that costs.

As far as the road ditches guy, hey it is legal. I think most everyone that has taken a SD trip for pheasants has shot one or two that way.

Quite a bit of public land in the state. You can go to the SD game and fish website for maps. Like I said, as long as you are past the second weekend the public land is good hunting and not crowded.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

As a SD native, I too have had my share of "ditch hunts" - and can find a LOT of birds that way...in fact many an opening weekend has been spent on county roads off the beaten path!

For Teddee5 - Dont know where you are getting your atlas, but SD also publishes a free atlas of huntable land: http://www.southdakotahunting.com/do...aps-atlas.html

My recommendation - check with the local chamber in Gregory, Chamberlain, Mitchell or Huron - they should have a list...if not, check the SouthDakotaHunting.com website for a list of outfitters...they may have reduced rates for weeks other than the opener!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Spike

Go to KS. North Central to Western KS has the best pheasant hunting and the State has tons of acres of Walk-in Hunting. It's a program which gives the public access to private lands. We have more than 20,000 acres in the county I live in which is great.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default Private Pheasant Hunting Land in SD

There are different places to look for paid hunting permission on great private pheasant ground in SD. A lot of farmers and ranchers are getting more involved with the internet so there are many places you can go online to find land. There are normally several listings on eBay and related sites. So you may have good luck referencing sites like these.