Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Need help with selection of 20ga. >

Need help with selection of 20ga.

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Need help with selection of 20ga.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Spike

Default Need help with selection of 20ga.

I would like to know if anyone has experience shooting a Weatherby Orion III 20g or a Franchi Renaissance Elite 20g. I have a friend who is torn between the two. The Weatherby fits great but is 2 lbs. heavier than the Franchi. Problem with the Franchi is that they are hard to locate and he would have to order one without feeling the fit. Thoughts anyone??
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
DKA
Spike

I would personally choose the Weatherby, the weight will work itself out in time. If want lighter can go with a synthetic stock.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

I believe there is an 11th commandment, "Thou shall not use synthetic stocks on a double barrel shotgun." The only reason to use synthetic is possibly wear. With a SxS/OU, you are not going to throw it or bounce it on the ground or swing it like a bat.

The orion III is made by SKB unless it says D'Italia then its made by Fausti (the model 500, the original 'cheap' shotgun to enter the US market and sold by Walmart but they make excellent shotguns also.) SKB is Japanese co. which makes solid shotguns (I shoot one myself).

The Fanchi is still made in Italy and is now owned by Benelli. Also a quality gun.

A good indication of value would be resale value. Which would hold its value better? I think Franchi has that edge. Which should your friend buy? Both are solid guns but without actually knowing if either will fit him, then its anyone's guess.

The majority of shooting a shotgun for upland birds is about how it fits. You could have a 10k shotgun with the perfect shotshell selection but it would be diddly if shooting at air instead of the target. When you shoulder the gun, you shouldn't be aware of the barrel. Your focus should be on the bird.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

I would pick the gun that fits properly, and if it's the heavier one (Orion), determine if that is one that you'd carry all day on an upland hunt chasing grouse or wood**** in the thickets and tangles.

For clay shooting and and open field pheasant hunting, the Orion may have the edge, but the Franchi would be the one to tote in the thickest of covers for 8 hours.

I have shot the Franchi, and it's a nice, trim field gun. The Orion is a nice gun as well. For me, as I've gotten older, I tend to carry the lighter guns afield each time I go out.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a SKB 505 and the Weatherby is made by SKB. It is a well built shotgun. If it fits you I would pick it over the Franchi.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Spike

Thyanks for posts we are trying to find out were the weatherby was made.