Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS?? >

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Cool Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Like the title says I am considering which is better. A SxS or O/U for a field gun. I think the O/U would have a slight sighting advantage over the SXS because the extra barrel is slung under the first, But if that bottom barrel heats up then the top is gona get heated up by it also. Will that happen with a SXS? Is the sighting disadvantage really that big a deal with the SXS?
I might have to have a few different shot guns for different uses. So I was thinking of limiting my self to O/U or SXS for the field guns and auto loaders for the water foul/ stupid Thunder Chickens that kick down my corn stalks DIE U MOTHER *BLEEP*'s just so its easier to tell which gun I need when gearing up.
A bunch of look a like guns might have me goin through my whole gun rack before I find the one set up for what im goin out to do, U C??

Discusssieee!!! and thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like SXS's in sub-gauges

Here is mine in 20 gauge;

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...ns/LC20-db.asp
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This one has served me well...
Browning 12ga - Upland Special, 24" barrels...
Attached Thumbnails Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??-day-after-tundra_email.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Spike

i like over unders. 12 or 20ga, 26in barrels. cant go wrong
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

I believe the two most important things are being comfortable with your shotgun and confident in your ability to use it. I prefer a SxS but I have rarely shot an OU. I recently purchased this CZ Bobwhite 12ga and I love it.
Attached Thumbnails Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??-100_4497.jpg   Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??-100_4498.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

A o/u 20ga would excel in the field nothing wrong with 12ga if you prefer it but that extra 1-1/2 lbs gets heavier after a few miles can't speak for the sxs never held nor shot one.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Doesn't matter really, stay with what you are comfortable with. Personally, if I had a chance to own a SxS, I would use it for the field as they are usually a pound lighter than an equivalent O/U but for practice, I would go O/U for skeet. Clay birds fly alot faster and sight/barrel alignment makes a big difference.

I own only one O/U and can't afford a SxS at the moment. It's just me as I won't buy a Turkish or cheap double barrel shotgun. Resale value and there's something about a nice shotgun that screams, 'Tradition!' to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Spike

If price doesn't matter then check out the Ruger Gold Label SXS - about $2,000. My father has one and I have had the opportunity to use it in the field. I like it a lot - it just doesn't fit into my budget.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extend your arm and make a fist. Then, sight down your arm. That is basically a S/S. Love the over unders.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Spike

I like O&U's cause i like lookin down on barrel instead of the middle of 2.... If you know what i mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.