Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS?? >

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Barrels heat up? Huh? Seems like you may want to avoid either one and just get a pumper. Once you break either gun and set it on your shoulder, it ain't like carrying squat...
..oh, yeah.. you don't aim shotguns.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a SPR 28ga. last year and love it. It is imported for Rem. at a very reasonable price. Mine is a SXS 28 inch barrel and deadly on pheasants. Also this gun is very lite for the long days afield.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I am a side by side guy myself. I have had several o/u's but now only own side by sides. I like the field of view down them and they point nice.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I've had better results with a nice 20ga o/u. better shooting in my opinion for upland, not to forget it seems more traditional
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Spike

I made a fatal mistake one day inside a gun shop in Ligonier Pa. Joel Etchens place. I picked up a Beretta 20 ga. Silver Hawk sxs. It was so light and fit so sweet that I could not put it down. I love it in the field and learned how to shoot it. I have many of the same guns that we all own and I can only say that when I picked up this one I finally realized what they mean by "you get what you pay for."
Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

A browning citori O/U 20ga. its lite, fast to the shoulder and is fun to shoot.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion any 12 gauge shotgun will do the job over-under are really good!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Spike

Feel, fit and natural pointing are the most important, in my opinion. Like the poster ^^^ said "picked it up and did not want to put it down", thats what you want. I have a O/U Browning Citori Lightning for the same reasons. Both are good.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Spike

I like the berretta S686 as far as o/u or SxS. It is the lightest O/U I've handled and I picked mine up for $500 used- I refinished the stock and now it is good as new. But I personally prefer to shoot a really crappy mossberg 9200 semi- it works better than any of my other shotguns for me and with the synthetic stock I cannot seem to hurt it.
I think a lot of shooters feel like they need a double gun becuase of all the pictures in the fashion mags. It's just not true. The best field gun is the one that fits you best and has a sight picture that allows you to get on target fast and make the shot. Rather than style, I would recommend you look at the length of pull, cast, and drop. Pick up a lot of guns and try them all out to see what fits you, balances well in your hands, and just feels comfortable. Many o/u 's are designed for shooting clays and have a very different sight picture than say a pump or a semi, and you may find that you don't like that or have a hard time learning to use it in the field.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerhunter152
A browning citori O/U 20ga. its lite, fast to the shoulder and is fun to shoot.
I use one and love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.