Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS?? >

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best Shot Gun for walkin the field, O/U or SxS??

Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cataraft
I like the berretta S686 as far as o/u or SxS. It is the lightest O/U I've handled and I picked mine up for $500 used- I refinished the stock and now it is good as new. But I personally prefer to shoot a really crappy mossberg 9200 semi- it works better than any of my other shotguns for me and with the synthetic stock I cannot seem to hurt it.
I think a lot of shooters feel like they need a double gun becuase of all the pictures in the fashion mags. It's just not true. The best field gun is the one that fits you best and has a sight picture that allows you to get on target fast and make the shot. Rather than style, I would recommend you look at the length of pull, cast, and drop. Pick up a lot of guns and try them all out to see what fits you, balances well in your hands, and just feels comfortable. Many o/u 's are designed for shooting clays and have a very different sight picture than say a pump or a semi, and you may find that you don't like that or have a hard time learning to use it in the field.

i agree with you too.if you want to own different guns,you can go the o/u or s/s route but i wanted a great gun that could do everything.

so i bought a beretta uricka field 12 ga semi.its light as 20 ga if you buy the 26 inch barrel but i like 28 inch for better sight picture.then i bought a plastc type stock and it made it lighter and takes scratchs of hunting grouse etc.
like said, if you want lots of guns,go with the 2 above. but me i wanted just 1 gun ,expensive one that would do it all and i found it in the semi beretta for 800 dollars.you hardly know you shot it as recoil is absorbed.

hope i did not go off your topic, i guess i did but before you put down 2000 for o/u or s/s try out the BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA IN 26 OR 28 INCH BARREL FOR 800 DOLLARS.