Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best dove load?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Spike

A standard or heavy trap load (1 1/8 oz. of hard #8's or 7 1/2's) is ideal. They pattern better than "economy loads" and you'll be satisfied with clean kills.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

I think a 2 3/4 inch load in 7 1/2 would work best for your conditions.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Spike

The load that patterns best out of you gun/choke combination and is comfortable for you to shoot.It's as simple as that. Don't get caught up in all the promotional hype that the manufactuors put out.
If you are keeping your shots within what is reasonable distance (that's under 45 yards ,preferably 40 & under) just about any 7 1/2 target load would fill the bill.My personal choice would be a 1or 1 1/8 ozsporting clay load. Most of these travel between 1250-1300fps are comfortable to shoot.
.................................................. ..................................
jobs in houston tx
Applicant Tracking
Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

remington's 2 3/4 target/game loads are GREAT and they are a box of 20 for like 4 bucks which is nice but if you dont use em all up they are perfect for any other small game
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Spike

Doves may make tiny targets, but that doesn't call for a tiny gun. On the contrary, you need plenty of pattern density out where the target is to put two or three pellets into the front end of a bird as small as a dove. Therefore the 12, 16, and 20 make the best dove gauges. I'd lean toward the 12, if only because there's so much high-quality, inexpensive target ammunition available for it. And on days the birds fly high, a 12 gives you the option of screwing in a tight choke and shooting 11/8 trap-load 71/2s, or even 1-ounce pigeon loads.

At shorter ranges, the higher pellet count of the 12's heavier payload gives you the luxury of shooting a more open choke while maintaining adequate pattern density for clean kills. In areas where nontoxic shot is required-like many state wildlife management areas and national wildlife refuges-the 12-gauge 1-ounce load of steel 7s makes a potent dove load.
===============
CheapSEO
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

What's with the above 2 posts? It sounds like a computer copy/pasted the reply from somewhere else.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those that said to pattern the gun and use the shell that
is best (inside 40 yds) are on it.

IMO 50 yds is a LONG shot.
Usually use 7-1/2 shot but 8 or 9 will work
I've use 6 too but like having the extra shot so only if
collared dove or pigeons are also a possibility.

Mourning dove are easy to kill compared to collards or pigeons.