Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Upland Hunting w English Springer Spaniel >

Upland Hunting w English Springer Spaniel

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Upland Hunting w English Springer Spaniel

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Upland Hunting w English Springer Spaniel

Anyone have an ESS and upland hunt? I am putting my 1 year old ESS through some full-time training this month. Just wondering if anyone else hunts with them and how they like it.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I can not say that I hunt with them. I do have a friend that does and loves hunting with them. He also has guided a few hunts with his, filling in for a friend. They are more of a flushing dog and get be a lot of fun. Some do and will point however so best of luck to you.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM

I have hunted with them for 30 years, they are awesome dogs. But you should have one that is field bred and comes from hunting stock. Most springers today are not bred to hunt...makes a HUGE difference. They are flushers so must hunt close to the gun.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Spike

I hunted with Springers for over 20 years and had great success with them. I agree you should try to get field stock but I had good luck with both. Springers IMO are easier to train than most dogs make good family pets and for the most part simple to care for. While they may not have the stamina of a lab they can hunt all day handle most upland well including pheasants. They can tackle the heavy cover and are good retrievers.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting with my 7 ys old male Springer and love every minutes afield with him. It took almost 2 years before he actually knew what he was hunting for, now he is relentless. Once he hits the fields/woods, he's ready to go. I have to hold him back or he'll hunt all day without stopping.

As others have said, he is a flusher and will go into the nasties pieces without hesitation. Once he knows there's a bird nearby, it's not difficult to read him when he gets birdy. Every year he gets at least 2-3 birds himself by catching pheasants before they can get completely airborn.

It is truly a treat to watch him do what he was bred for. Plus he now realizes he is hunting for me, not for him. Once the bird flushes and I shoot, his eyes are constantly focused on the bird in flight. Once it fall from the sky, I give him he command and he retrieves to hand perfectly. Once the bird is put away, he's excited and ready to go again. Of course those time when I miss (and yes, this may happen more tha I like to admit) he looks at me like I have 2 heads.

Springers are wonderful, loving dogs that will work all day for you.
Good luck and if I can answer any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.