HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Raising Birds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/275747-raising-birds.html)

sportsman22 11-27-2008 07:18 PM

Raising Birds

I want to start getting some info on raising pheasants. I was just wondering if I could any takes from anyone who raises them.

petrey10 11-27-2008 09:12 PM

RE: Raising Birds

what is your goal in raising the birds? Are you doing it to establish a polutation or just for fun? I must know that it is very likely you will lose about 50 percent of your birds due to weak chicks....etc...

Illinois hunter 11-29-2008 09:33 PM

Im in my second year of hatching birds. Let me tell you first hand that there is a lot to learn and it can become pricey to get started. It is a fun hobby but can become time consuming. You will find that hatching is an art within itself. Are you planning on buying chicks ?

X-LINY 11-30-2008 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: sportsman22

I want to start getting some info on raising pheasants. I was just wondering if I could any takes from anyone who raises them.
I would suggest that before you start on any wild game bird venture, to get in touch with your states DNR and ask them about permit requirements, and the rules and regulation regarding harboring wild game birds.

Good luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

trapperman25 11-30-2008 07:05 PM

i have all you have to do is keep them warm and fead and in the sun and they have room

arintime 12-01-2008 12:12 AM

A friend and Iare going to raise pheasants. There were some raised in thearea before I moved in and I got to see the end of them (I think the coyotes got the last of them). Is it DNR I need to contact for permits in Washington? I am planning on a 20'x20' pen. Is that big enough? I am looking for about a dozen to start andI have lots of room to expand (or grow)! It will be for fun.

Phil from Maine 12-01-2008 10:07 AM

I have raised them up here without much of a problem.. The pen s here must be at a least six feet high. The size of it will depend on how many birds will be in it. I did not have the mortality rates discribed above at all. I had bought my chicks from a bird farm so I did not need to hatch them at all.
I also run a net over the top of my pen that brought the highth of it up to almost 12 feet. I added roosts to get them to roost at night so not much of a problem from foxes. But, Idid have some serious problems from feral house cats..[:@]They had recently wiped out most of my birds in one pen with-in a few days. They dug undert it and chewed holes threw the netting while I was at work. I think that this problem has now been solved.
I also supplied then with those tall chicken feeders and waters so I didn't have to spend much time in around them as to help keep them wilder. Need any more info let me know..

Welcome to the forums arintime, I think you will like it here..