Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant States

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pheasant States

Ok, I have one ranch in South Dakota, and a couple in Kansas book marked, I am looking for any other States that have decent wild pheasant hunting, and this will be a 2009 hunt. But,

Do not say or include North/South Dakota or Kansas.

If you have a ranch or public land in mind, there will be two of us on this trip, Thanks, I have been looking on the net, just need first hand recommendations.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Pheasant States

how bout the dakotas? or Kansas?

i kid[8D]

ever thought about Texas?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas panhandle has some good hunting!The birds are wild as you can ask for after opening weekend!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Did not know about Texas, did see it mentioned on the Pheasants Forever web site.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The birds vary depending on rain and farming practices like alot of areas.But down as far as Lubbock all theway north has some birds.I have hunted Spearman and Gruver alot but have done well around Earth,Plainview I believe trys to cater to the pheasant hunters.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

The birds vary depending on rain and farming practices like alot of areas.But down as far as Lubbock all theway north has some birds.I have hunted Spearman and Gruver alot
where at near gruver do you hunt?

i work in the whole northern part of the Texas Panhandle as well as live in the OK panhandle, there are alot of birds this year... just yesterday i counted 37 roosters in a winter wheat field... anywhere from dalhart to stratford to gruver to perryton has good birds... further east from perryton they had a bad hail storm this spring that killed off alot of birds

and as far as being wild after the first week, i don't know if i would agree with that... hit weed rows, tail water pits, fast and hard and you can limit quickly, during xmas we have a big family hunt and normally hit the CRP grass and get quite a few that way... you've just got to know how to hunt the area.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM

double post
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time we hunted at Gruver we hunted south of town,the road that runs behind the school...go south about 1 mile and there's a feed lot next to road.It's possible to knock bird down in town from there!Hunted alot east of Spearman about 7 miles.I will hunt tailwater ponds and fence rows,egdes of crp if there's a ditch of defined area is good with 1-2 people.I am not one to stand shoulder to shoulder and stomp stuble.Mid morning hunts are easier than first light and sunsets,let the birds feed and go back to bedding areas,you can take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:26 PM

where you from RLoving?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm down here in lovely west Texas...Odessa.I haven't got to hunt ditch chickens in a couple years,I love seeing the geese and mallards hit burnt corn and the cocks out in middle of winter wheat with sun shining on them! After hunting wild birds no way could I hunt pen rasied birds...just ain't hunting.Nothing like walking 1 mile of fence or ditch and birds flushing in last 25 yards!

Quick Reply: Pheasant States

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.