Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price? >

what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

i wish i could spend more money on a nicer gun, but i am a college student and i have a tight budget[:'(]... i would like to buy something like a berreta but its out of my price range
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

i wish i could spend more money on a nicer gun, but i am a college student and i have a tight budget[:'(]... i would like to buy something like a berreta but its out of my price range
dad or mom could help you.brother or sister.

getting a part time job could help.

selling something.

going without something for awhile.

lower your car insurance , these are just ideas.

DONT buy the cheaper gun,you will regret it later and it will sit in closet.

12 ga is BEST all around gun to get.

i like the semi-autos, i like the BERETTA URICKA line.

i like the 28 inch barrels.some like 26 inch.

go to gun store and handle both lengths, aim at the deer on wall or birds, pull up and FEEL how it comes up.

longer 28 inch will handle better than the 26 inch but the 26 inch is quicker.

its all how you feel with both.

i understand the situation with college.

but you will have gun rest of your life.

i would hold off until i had money ,then buy a BERETTA OR A BENILLI,i like the berattas.

try this site.

search under BERETTA,LOTS of reading.

www.shotgunworld.com
Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

does anyone own a mossberg reserve series?

if so what do you have to say about it?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

does anyone own a mossberg reserve series?

if so what do you have to say about it?

crap
Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor, don't get pressured into spending money on a name.

I would bet sproulman has never owned or even shot a mossberg reserve over/under shotgun but since he spent $$$ on his he has to justify it and say that the mossberg is crap. I've never owned or shot a mossberg so I can't comment on their quaility.

I can afford a nice shotgun, but I chose the Yildiz because it had excellent reviews from people who actually owned and shot it. It comes with 5 interchangeable chokes and is very nice and balanced. It is very lightweight also. It doesn't sit in my closet, it actually gets used quite a bit and I don't feel like I need to wear kid gloves in order to touch it.

If you are serious about your purchase, check out www.shotgunworld.com for some input by folks who really know what they are talking about.They even have a forum specifically for Yiliz owners - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=104

That's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

{EDIT} - I just read some of the threads on shotgun world on the Mossberg O/U and it sounds like sproulman is right! LOL

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=161167

There are some alternatives though, just research them before buying anything. If you already bought the mossberg it sounds like you should double check the return policy and make sure you keep your receipt.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: npaden

Trevor, don't get pressured into spending money on a name.

I would bet sproulman has never owned or even shot a mossberg reserve over/under shotgun but since he spent $$$ on his he has to justify it and say that the mossberg is crap. I've never owned or shot a mossberg so I can't comment on their quaility.

I can afford a nice shotgun, but I chose the Yildiz because it had excellent reviews from people who actually owned and shot it. It comes with 5 interchangeable chokes and is very nice and balanced. It is very lightweight also. It doesn't sit in my closet, it actually gets used quite a bit and I don't feel like I need to wear kid gloves in order to touch it.

If you are serious about your purchase, check out www.shotgunworld.com for some input by folks who really know what they are talking about.They even have a forum specifically for Yiliz owners - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=104

That's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

{EDIT} - I just read some of the threads on shotgun world on the Mossberg O/U and it sounds like sproulman is right! LOL

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=161167

There are some alternatives though, just research them before buying anything. If you already bought the mossberg it sounds like you should double check the return policy and make sure you keep your receipt.

you will have your gun for all your life.

i am not trying to pressure him,only trying to help him NOT MAKE MISTAKE OF HIS LIFE.

to not spend extra 300 or 400 more for top gun, in my opinion is mistake.

dont say kids dont have money, they will spend it on fancy cars,what do they have after 5 years.

big weddings,new homes..

i know, I DID IT.

my only MISTAKE was i bought cheaper guns, yes, they will kill just as good as better ones BUT, THE BETTER ONES HOLD THEIR VALUE, THEY FEEL MUCH BETTER IN YOUR HANDS AS YOU GET older , LIKE ME.

WAIT UNTIL YOU GET 60 AND TRY TO LIFT THAT MOSSBERG.

it will wear you out.

lift a BERETTA at 60 or 70, it will feel LIGHT in your hands..

anyhow, this will be my last post on this.

do what you want but you are making a mistake that you will notice as you get OLDER.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again, I'm not speaking of the mossberg since I don't own one, but my 12 gauge Yildiz with 28" tube weighs in 5% lighter than the Berreta White Wing in 12 gauge. (6.7lbs for the Berreta vs. 6.4lbs for the Yildiz).

I'm sure fit and finish is a little nicer on the Berreta, but the Yildiz works well in the field isn't going to be an issue on lifting later in life. I'm 40 and appreciate the finer things in life, but I don't like wasting money on things just to have a fancy name either.

I'm suprised you aren't recommending an ultralight or silver pigeon, they hold their values really well.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

to each his own. while I don't think this is anywhere close to a mistake of a lifetime--it will be a good learning experience-- andeither you will realize that this purchase did it for you, or it didnt.I agree with sproulman on investing in a high quality gun if you can prioritize the bucks based on where you're at in life--and lookat this is an investment as well as a gun for today to hunt with. I personally own two silver pigeons. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to carry and shoot a nice gun whether hunting in MT or NH or on the skeet field.

Not a big deal, just 1 stop along the road to figuring out what makes you tick.... good luck.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Does it have to be an O/U? In college your supposed to be short on funds but in a few years you will be able to afford a really nice gun that will hold its value.

If you need a shotgun get an 870 express. There cheap, they work, they are respected and they are made in the USA. Plus everybody needs and 870 even rich people. If you already own an 870 and you are short on funds then you don't actually need a new shotgun. Soon enough you will have some disposable income and you can get a great O/U that is respectable. Dont let money burn a hole in your pocket. 870 and graduate. After graduation get something fancy if you wish. Better yet get a fancy O/U for a graduation present. That will be the best ROI that you could ask for.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Spike

go with a mossberg

Quick Reply: what is a good over under shotgun for a decent price?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.