Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Canada Super Hunt w/updates

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default Canada Super Hunt w/updates

Well folks I am about to take off in a few days for Canada.

This trip I will have 2 Companions on the trip with me as we attempt to take our humor across the border and hopefully get some video to share with everyone.

These 2 companions will be some guys by the name of Scott & Kelly who I will attempt to embarrass the heck out of, not only outdo them in everything possible, but make this one of those "trips of a lifetime".

While there we will be staying withthePresident of Hardcor Fightwear Cory Rewuski and doing a little Pheasant, Duck and Goose hunting, along with a few other surprises are in store as well. (I can only imagine)

I'm not exactly for sure if we will have internet up there, but I know I will atleast have cell phone coverage, and will send out Live Updates via Text Messaging.

If you want to be notified Instantly about how the trip is going, here is a quick link that will add you to our Instant Updates!!

If we aren't able to update via internet, hopefully some of themembers here will be able to post information and at a minimum Cell Phone Pictures back here for everyone to view.

Thanks to everyone who started doing Live Hunts, and taking the time to keep everyone who is back here in Texas updated. I will attempt to do the same on my international travel as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: Canada Super Hunt w/updates

After an eventful night in Waco, we are headed to the DFW airport!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Spike

Oh good lordy lordy where do I even begin on letting you know how things went today.

I'll begin with something that was outright awesome, and make an attempt to finish with something that was outright awesome!

Well we started the morning off with several outstanding people offering me a place to stay, and park my truck near the DFW airport to save me from having to pay a daily parking fee on my vehicle. Chris works on the North side of DFW and offered to give us his parking spot for the week as well as drop us off and pick us up from our gate!! Got to love Texas and see allot of that hospitality is still around.

Well once Chris drops us off, here is where the trip begins to go sour!! We are standing in DFW at these little Computers and everything is going ok until it comes time for me to swipe my passport. (at first i thought i grabbed the wrong one when the computer wasn't accepting it) Well one of the nice fellas working there comes up to me and says, "You look familiar, where have I seen you before?" I'm kind of speechless at this point, I'm not sure what to say and I udder out, "Well I hope it wasn't a wanted poster or both of us are screwed". He looks at me kind of strange and proceeds to try swiping my passport
through this little thing, it doesn't work so he takes me up to the front of the line and puts me in front of an open agent. (man its over 40 people in line) Scott was already at that point about 39 people back, so he see's me getting help at the counter and jumps out of line himself and piggy backs with me!! Well the guys at the counter get us all set up, and for some reason the guy who thinks he's Jeff Foxworthy decides to switch our tags up and put my names on Scott's bag, and vice versa. So now all I can hope for is that when they scan those things that his chasity belt, leather, whips and chains doesn't flag security to
check the name and call me up......Well thankfully the bags made it through ok......So now we got 40 something people pissed at us standing in line to check in, and I got some yahoo that just keeps staring at me going "gosh, where do I know you from", the ENTIRE time I'm trying to check in. Well I shook each one of their hands and we continued on to our gate.

We arrive in Atlanta after sitting behind what had to be the Guiness book of world records ugliest woman & woman couple...I'll let you guys just assume what I'm hinting at here. Immediately after getting out of the gate, I look at the screens and on Delta's board it says flight NW1433 departing gate A31. Now A31 is the gate we just came out of..so I'm thinking WTF!! I ask the little Delta lady for help, and to see if I
am reading my ticket, and the board right. She confirms that yes this is my gate, and we are supposed to catch the flight that leaves at 540. I smile and tell her "thanks for the help".

The first thing I do is take Scott to get some Krystal's since he has never had it. I hook him up with one of the best ATL representatives who just happens to work at a Krystal's (gosh I hope you guys can since my sarcasm) and order the #1. 5 Cheeseburgers and fries smothered in Chili....Boy we are going to have a good flight up to Canada after eating this stuff!!

Well we are done eating and we head over towards our A31 gate again. They begin boarding the flight for Minneapolis, and out departure time I notice has changed a whopping 4 mimutes later than what it was originally scheduled for. I don't think anything of it.

We get to the gate to check in once they call our "zone" that we were sitting in, only to tell us. "Sir your flight was moved over to the D concourse and left 4 minutes ago". At this point my jaw hits the floor, and due to Scott's age I'm looking for the AED. (an AED will jump start your heart). The "gate lady"
says our only hope is walk about 12 gates down to the ticket counter and see what they can do.

So we are talking to the Delta ticket ladies (for some reason out of coincidence) since the Northwest Ticket office was already closed for the day. All these ladies can do is access Delta flights (since the Delta/Northwest merge hasn't completely happened yet). They tell us we have no chance at all in making it to Canada tonight and we can choose to stay in Minneapolis, or Atlanta overnight. Well with what I know about Travel, I'm not buying it...

I step out of line, and begin talking to the Northwest people via cell phone instantly away from the ticket counter. I end up talking with a lady in the Reservations Center for Northwest, and explaining to her what happened, and how it messed up all of my connecting flights.

Somehow I was able to weasel us into the top positions on the list for standby on what I found out was going to be our only hope. A 725pm flight out of Atlanta on Delta headed for Minneapolis. Now the only way that this is going to work is if we make the 725pm flight, and luck out that our 915 arrival
time is enough to make the 930pm Calgary departure. The lady on the phone tells me it isn't possible for us to make it from 1 part of the terminal in Minneapolis to the other in 15 minutes and make the flight since we are completely changing airlines from Delta to Northwest. She tries everything to convince me
that it is impossible to do. I finally said to her, "ma'am first off can it happen. Is there even a small possibility for it can happen? On your end with the computer can you schedule it to happen?" She says "yes i can schedule it but you won't make it". I asked her to please schedule it because I would rather have a chance at the flight, then no chance at all and right now I have had bad luck all day, and I'm do for some good luck. She laughed and said well good luck both of you guys are booked for the flights, and I made you top priority for standby...

Now we have got to hightail it from Concourse A, all the way to Concourse B in Atlanta in time to check in for Standby. Well we get there and there is only 6 people at the counter and we see our names on the Screen. Some yahoo named Thra/S has the #1 spot, somone named Gov/C is #2, and I see my name in #3. with a total of 11 names on stand by. Well as people keep checking in, I see the number of assigned seats keep getting smaller and smaller. So me and the guy in the #1 standby position are talking, and he says if there is only 1 seat then he will stay back with me. If their are 2 seats then we are going to cut off the head of the guy who has the #2 spot. As we are saying this, I guess we were talking a little to loud as I think guy #2 turned around and looked at us, then walked away. The next thing we hear after our laughter stops, is the lady at the Gate call out the TOP 3 names. YES!!! We made it on the 725 flight...We still have hope to make it to Calgary tonight.

Ok whew!! We made it on the early flight, now we have to find a way to get from Concourse A in Mineapolis, to Councourse D....Since we have to switch from Delta to Northwest. It was a lengthy flight so I began talking with the flight attendents asking if there was anything they could do and I start asking
them to do something that I know they can do, but they usually don't do. They look at me and smile, and says well lets see what we can come up with. There is 20 minutes left on the flight into Minneapolis when I get a tap on the shoulder and I'm waved to come back to the kitchen area of the airplane. The lady tells
me what is in store for me, but I am going to have to BULLDOZE all of the 1st Class passengers as soon as the Fasten Seat Belt sign goes off when we stop. For me that is the easy part, now for the hard part. All my camera equipment is in the back of the aircraft, and my seat is in the middle of the aircraft. Somehow I get the bright idea to go up to the very front row in Coach and ask them if they wouldn't mind switching seats for me as I am about to show them the funniest thing they have ever seen on an airplane but I need their seats to do it. The flight attendants take my camera gear and stage it in the jump seat next to the exit so I can "grab & go" without having to pull luggage out of the bins and etc....Ok my gear is staged, and I begin telling Scott that we are about to pull off 31 dive out of the I formation and I'm blocking for him as he carry's my laptop bag...As I'm explaining to him "31 dive" I get a tap on the shoulder once again.

The flight attendent talked to the pilot, and he radioed ahead to have us a guide with cart waiting to fly us to the next Councourse!! 31 Dive works like a champ, and we rush down the tunnel. A delta representative was there to meet us, and ****** us to the cart. The driver jumped in that cart, and we ALMOST looked like ol Big Daddy Don Garlits. (I hope a few of you know who he is)

We make it to the Gate, and they are pulling the tunnel back from the Plane. Oh crap all that talking, and hurrying, and taking what seemed like 2 hours to get Scott to comprehend "31 Dive" for nothing. I talk with the sweet lady that is at the window and she rushes us down some stairs to a service ramp. We go down the maintenance ladder, and she is saying "Give me your Boarding Passes". LUCKILY i still had my original ones that they gave me in DFW....Scott got pissed and through his away in ATLANTA (man I wish I had a picture of him in Atlanta trying to dig through the trash to get them back) after they printed up some new tickets for him that had us arriving in Canada the next day. We climb up another ladder and get into a make shift passenger tunnel, and another lady is beating on the door
having them open the door back up. We made the flight, and arrived in Calgary when we were originally expected to!!

Pulling that off was just amazing, and I couldn't believe we did it.

I clear customs no problem at all, and Scott gets "flagged" so he has to go see the mean looking folks behind the glass

I go ahead and worked my way to the baggage claim areas and find my bag no problem. Well Scott on the other hand never found his bag, and now has no clothes to change into or hunt in!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Spike

--------------
Day 3
--------------
Today was our second day Pheasant hunting.

Today we did it a little different, instead of taking to the field with just 1 dog and 2 hunters, we released 100 birds and had 4 dogs working with 6 hunters.

Amongst the 6 of use we ended up with 76 birds total. I was just beat at the end of the day, as we spent all day hunting pheasant. We started at 8am, and finished about an hour before sunset. Ron Chaffer quickly gathered his things up and we went to an open field where they had been seeing Whitetails. Ron was able to drop a whitetail so we could eat Pheasant and Venison for the evening.

After dinner I jumped in the steam sauna for about 15 minutes, then followed that up with a hot shower to end a great day. 8pm, and I was dead asleep!