Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice >

My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Spike

Default RE: My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Keep us updated on pups progressduring his first hunting season ! Happy Hunting!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 PM

Well today turned out to be a big day for Fred and I. I was running errands all morning with Fred riding shotgun. On the way home I stopped by a training field close to home. I did not have any equipment with me so I just took Fred out for a big walk in the fields and get used to running through the brush. After about an hour it was time to go. Upon returning to my truck another hunter had just arrived with a springer spaniel and all the gear. We talked about dogs and I told him the story and he invited Fred and I to tag along. After about 5 minutes of trying to play with the SS ,Fred finally realized what the dog was doing. In about 10 minutes both dogs were hunting staying about 20-40 feet from each other and working as a team to find birds. It was amazing to watch. After an hour of hard work from both dogs and no birds Fred got bored and tried playing again with the Springer. The SS was getting bored to because they would hunt for a minute then play for a minute. Still it seemed that Fred knew what he was doing and knew what he was looking for. The hunter gave me a lot of tips and encouragement and invited me to join him again. Would have been good to see at least one bird but it did not happen. Fred still learned a lot from the Springer and I learned a lot to. On the next hill over someone was hunting with a GSP and I didnt hear a shot from them either. Looks like were in good company though. Once I meet a few bird hunters and Fred grows up a little, hes 11 months old, I think we are both going to have an awesome time at this.

Glenn and FastFreddie
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Also Fred is learning how to fish. Really bad cell phone video if anyone wants a laugh. Notice the ridge, it sticks up when he is on high alert. Normally the ridge is not very noticable.
[link]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/glenngertz/?action=view&current=1117081208.flv[/link]

Anyways here is a pic of Fred the mutt.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM

a Browning BPS is the most reliable and well built gun for the money. I can shoot mine as fast as any semi auto and it never jams. go simple but get a quality gun. Browning is worth it in the end. remington makes great guns for the cash as well. Decide your preference and decide from there
Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Id like to see pics of him. Im impressed he points. Being whats behind him I figured he'd flush and retrieve. But to point to boot? NICE!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Spike

Anything Bennelli is good. Try the m2 field if your up for the price haha.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 PM

My brother, a friend andI have Novas they are a great shotgun along with the 870. Both the Nova and the 870 are very good guns. The ones we carry are 12 guage.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:56 PM

I like that unique mix of breeds... lab/ridgeback!From your picture, it looks like it producesa verygood lookingdog!

As far as bird hunting shotguns, I like anything with a tang safety on top of the receiver, or even a single shot with a single hammer instead of a safety. I like that feature because it allows the shooter a quicker,smoothermethod (in my opinion)to ready the gun to fire when birds are not holding tightly to their cover, or on windy days when theyfly out of range in the blink of an eye. My favorite shotgun right now is my Browning BPS 12 guage due to the ease of its top-tang safety (however, I am not too fond of the fact that its made in Japan). I also have a Remington 870 Wingmaster, but the index finger safety button just doesn't feel as natural to me.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

my favortie gun is my 870 12 gauge mossburge full choke
Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 AM

My favorite all purpose gun is the Remington 870. For the money you cannot beat it. If you wanted just a pheasant/ bird gun I like an O/U.