HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Upland Contest Teams and Scoring Sheet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/260765-upland-contest-teams-scoring-sheet.html)

Icetrey 10-20-2008 01:59 PM

RE: Upland Contest Teams and Scoring Sheet

UPDATED!
Wondering where you'd been hiding Ed.

Edcyclopedia 10-20-2008 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

UPDATED!
Wondering where you'd been hiding Ed.
Thanks for the update.
It's been a real light year for the birds...
Nothing the 1st weekend except 4 woodcock directly in front, of course in the wide open, and the season didn't begin until Oct. 6th, the day after I left to go home - crap!

Then only had one shot the next weekend with 2 1/2 days in the field - ugg! (Forgot my camera @ camp)

This weekend was a little better, but still lacking flushes compared to years past??!!

npaden 10-20-2008 03:05 PM

Contest Update:

The contest will end January 4, 2009. This is subject to change, if you have a season that runs past January 4 please PM me and I will change it. Also if anyone feels a different species of bird needs to be added to the points list, please inform me and I willadd the bird.

GOOD LUCK
Quail seaon in Texas runs until February 22nd. Not sure if you want to keep it running that long though. Last year I didn't do much quail hunting but not sure about other folks.

Icetrey 10-20-2008 04:14 PM

Can I get a 2nd to keep the contest goin till February 22nd?

skybuster20ga 10-20-2008 05:41 PM

i dont care. our season ends the 31st of december

mongorunner 10-21-2008 06:34 PM

Can I get a 2nd to keep the contest goin till February 22nd?

pheasant season ends here in OK Jan 31st

npaden 10-21-2008 07:35 PM

So much for things happening around here! I thought I was going to get shut out for a while tonight. Shot my first bird about 5 minutes before sunset.

Ended up with 5 birds. I shot 6 but had to come back to the house for a bit with a bird on the ground. I marked the area with my hat, and went back out after dark to try to find it. My rottweiler found it, but ate it before I realized what was going on in the dark. [&:]

I hope she didn't learn something new, she ate the entire thing in one big swallow. I'm going to have to start bringing treats out there with me to reward her for bringing a bird back to me.

Here's my 3 legged 1/2 Rott 1/2 Brittnay Spaniel with the birds this time.

Icetrey 10-22-2008 06:17 AM

UPDATED!!!

Its official, the contest now goes till February 22nd

rimjob_rob 10-22-2008 07:27 PM

Okay here is a couple from last Sunday. I shot one on Saturday too, but I didn't get a pic on my camera, I am trying to get it e-mailed to me so as soon as I get it I will post that one too.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/kylebowman04/PheasantOpener2008003.jpg

PaulM 10-23-2008 07:29 AM

just one of the pheasants was mine and the onequail.

npaden 10-23-2008 07:00 PM

Well it was a BEAUTIFUL evening.

Saw a very nice mature whitetail buck and doe as I turned the corner on the way to the house so that was neat (they were on my property about 400 yards from the house with 2+ hours of daylight left - I think the rut must be starting).

Wind was very calm for around here, about 60 degrees, not a cloud in the sky....

As the sun went down I saw the first ever pheasant on my property, a huge rooster that flew into my CRP grass from my sorghum that I planted this spring.

Busted a covey of quail walking over to one of my dove spots... (quail season starts in 2 days!)

And shot a whopping 2 doves! And it wasn't because I was a bad shot they just weren't flying. We had a good cold front come through yesterday and that usually brings in a new batch of doves, but I guess ours went south and there weren't any more coming in from the north to take their place.

Oh well, it was a beautiful evening regardless.

npaden 10-25-2008 09:39 AM

Another beautiful day but no deer or pheasants this morning. Only found 1 covey of about a dozen quail on the property around the house this morning. I shot 2 of them and that will probably be the extent of my quail hunting around the house unless I see more quail than that. Late this summer I had 2 good coveys hanging out, but not sure where the other one went. The cotton fields haven't been stripped yet so they may be hanging out in them.

Dove season goes 1 more week but there aren't may dove hanging out around here right now. I think we need another hard cold front to bring the rest down but hunting season will be over by then. I may do a little quail hunting down on my Fisher county property, I have 3 or 4 good coveys down there, but I hate to quail hunt during deer season and that's about my only option. Maybe I'll get a big buck down early and be able to spend some time on quail. I may get to go pheasant hunting on opening morning but not sure on that either, so this may be about my total for the season. We'll see.

Here's the tally for today, 2 dove and 2 quail.

Icetrey 10-26-2008 04:28 AM

UPDATED!!!

Headed to the woods for youth weekend

SDarcher 10-26-2008 10:05 PM

2 pheasants from yesterday

Edcyclopedia 10-27-2008 09:31 AM

2 Woodcock & 1 Rabbit...
Deer season, for me, has kicked into high gear, so this may be it for my team contribution.

skybuster20ga 10-27-2008 06:08 PM

same here unless we start racking up bunnies lol

Icetrey 10-27-2008 07:54 PM

UPDATED!!!!!

mongorunner 10-28-2008 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

season over already brandon? mine still has another month before it starts! [&o]

Icetrey 10-28-2008 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: mongorunner

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

season over already brandon? mine still has another month before it starts! [&o]
How long will you be bird hunting?

mongorunner 10-30-2008 03:44 PM

How long will you be bird hunting?

til sometime in late january

SDarcher 11-02-2008 10:31 AM

Friday's limit (3)

Icetrey 11-03-2008 06:04 AM

UPDATED!!!

SDarcher 11-07-2008 10:09 AM

Three more from Wednesday. The one at the bottum of the pic had 22 inch tailfeathers.

npaden 11-07-2008 03:08 PM

Great job SDArcher - I think that puts us into the lead!! :D

Another day like that and we will be #1 and #2 for individuals as well. [8D]

Icetrey 11-07-2008 03:16 PM

UPDATED!!!

petrey10 11-08-2008 07:37 AM

sorry I haven't been around to post on here team but we are now on the board!!!!

3 for me only but all in all a good day hunting...I got more pictures that need posting but they are still on the camera

petrey10 11-08-2008 04:08 PM

Here
this one I forgot to add when dove season was in

is a 45 minutes hunt on wednesday

here is today's successful hunt

SDarcher 11-10-2008 01:35 PM

yup, we're on a roll now npaden. Still another month and a half left in the season here too.

Nice buck by the way. It's pretty cool to see how much the deer change from season to season like Double wide did isn't it?

npaden 11-10-2008 02:44 PM

Thanks.

It was pretty amazing to see how much he regressed this year from last year. It wasn't like he was a B&C buck last year, but I think he would have been a solid 135" - 140" with an inside spread of 20+". His bases are HUGE and I can only imagine what he looked like in his prime. I think he was probably already on the downhill slide last year. I've seen 4 other good bucks that would all be shooters next year if they make it through the season. One of them will be 5 1/2 next year and has shown the ability to put on some nice junk in previous years so if he makes it through another year I will be SERIOUSLY after him!

These 2 pictures show the difference the best to me.

Last year's antlers:

This year when he was just about done growing his antlers:

I was still very happy to take him, he was #1 on my hit list.

Another interesting thing is the buck in both of those pictures with him is the buck I nicknamed "Stickers". He was #2 on my hit list. Hopefully he will fall into the same habits that Doublewide had and will get ground checked by me next year! :D

He had a nice sticker coming off his G2 this year but if fell off!!

Here he was with the nice sticker coming off his left G2:

And here he is after the sticker dropped off:

He is still on the upward swing on antler growth though, here is a picture of him last year (this is the first picture I got of him and when I nicknamed him stickers), note how much his mass has increased this year over last year.

Okay, sorry for hijacking the score thread. I just think it is very interesting to see the antler growth sequences documented and thought I would share.

npaden 11-15-2008 09:08 PM

Okay, struck out pig hunting but spent a few minutes quail hunting on my property down in fisher county. 2 shots and 2 quail.

SDarcher 11-24-2008 07:29 AM

Sundays limit.
I haven't gotten out a whole lot lately, I'm still working on getting my deer for Rifle season. Also have a buck tag to fill with my bow.

mongorunner 11-27-2008 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: SDarcher

Sundays limit.
I haven't gotten out a whole lot lately, I'm still working on getting my deer for Rifle season. Also have a buck tag to fill with my bow.

pheasant starts on monday... im excited!

mongorunner 12-01-2008 06:46 PM

eh had to work today for the opener, got 30 mins in and tagged one... the only shot i really had. i had met up with my cousin, who had a group of 15 of them, they ended up with 26 birds i think... thats 4 birds shy of a limit... not a bad day...

count me on the board.... FINALLY![:'(]

PS: its my little niece holding the bird, she thought it was the prettiest bird ever:)

Icetrey 12-01-2008 07:21 PM

UPDATED!!!!!!!
Sorry havent been on the site in awhile. BTW I should be hitting the doves come the 2nd dove season. Theres ALOT around and not Im not so uptight about deer since this guy walked into my crosshairs...

mongorunner 12-01-2008 08:31 PM

thats a killer kicker on him... what did he score? should help us out some on the deer competition...;)

mongorunner 12-01-2008 08:33 PM

you forgot the rifle in the picture!!!![:'(]

mongorunner 12-06-2008 03:15 PM

two pheasant and a quail today... not bad, i missed alot of birds... my gun was messing up... i think the firing pin is gummed up and not striking the primers...

mongorunner 12-10-2008 07:29 PM

alot of birds moving, but couldn't get to any of them...

i also cleaned my benelli, and sure enough it was just a dirty firing pin =]

mongorunner 12-15-2008 06:35 PM

Texas Limit on saturday

shhhhhhhhhhh he's sleeping:D

one from this afternoon

mongorunner 12-17-2008 05:55 PM

OKie limit this afternoon, jumped into my 4th spot... two shots, two flopping birds