Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 2008 Upland Hunting Contest Sign-up till Aug. 31 >

2008 Upland Hunting Contest Sign-up till Aug. 31

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

2008 Upland Hunting Contest Sign-up till Aug. 31

Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 Upland Hunting Contest Sign-up till Aug. 31

Daleh - "Full of S%$# was not directed to you in an earlier post, if it was I would have made it clear when you asked".
Thank You for clarifying this, as I did think you directed this at me.

Not to further your unbelievable love for your quail, I do respect what you've done, as it is now much more apparent from your frustrated comments...

Let me clarify, I did in fact say "I cultivate the land "and that is my fault for not defining the exact dictionary description, which is "to improve by care, labor or study",
so I don't cultivate the land, as I am not a farmer in that sense.
I meant I work the land for proper wildlife habitat, and yes, maybe 50% is for Deer hunting, as I hunt for the enjoyment, from the start of the season to the end, so for me Grouse isn't the only thing I live/hunt for. I commend your dedication and I'm not being a smart butt about it, simply put.

I'm sorry you have people down there that use your quail money to replace gates, caused only by "inconsiderate deer hunting dog owners".
maybe you could include them in your predator list???
To answer your comment about hunting nest robbers, I do hunt the very same ones you do, sorry not to elaborate in great detail about every predator I hunt, as I assumed that the coyote/fox tend to be the biggest threat in most everyone's eye's, at least up here, so I assumed that was a safe sentence to add, so I hope this now might appease
the Quail God's. (sarcastic humor, try to laugh a little).

I help the GW out by aiding in the trespassers / poachers that you talk about, amongst many other things I don't have time too get in detail about, nor the space on this reply.
I did look at your web sites and they look great, just curious, are those pictures of deer on them? Damn those gate wrecking deer hunters, they even show up on web sites.[:@]
More sarcastic humor - sorry I had too!

No worries Dale - it all stemmed from your initial reply to the other post, as you never identified the person that was "full of it", and in the post I mention on the bottom right hand corner, it says "in reply to Edcyclopedia" (must be a computer thing)?
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2899352

Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 20 acres enrolled in the Quail CRP Buffer program and established a pond that I overflow intentionally all year long to make a good habitat for Quail on my property around my house and get excited as I hear their mating calls and the coveys start to get together in the fall. I plant small grains on both properties to benefit all upland game. I trapped 15 raccoons last winter on my hunting land to help with predation on ground nesting birds.

Based on all that I probably shouldn't join the contest I guess. [&:]

P.S. - I shot about 100 dove last year and3 quail.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I have 20 acres enrolled in the Quail CRP Buffer program and established a pond that I overflow intentionally all year long to make a good habitat for Quail on my property around my house and get excited as I hear their mating calls and the coveys start to get together in the fall. I plant small grains on both properties to benefit all upland game. I trapped 15 raccoons last winter on my hunting land to help with predation on ground nesting birds.

Based on all that I probably shouldn't join the contest I guess. [&:]

P.S. - I shot about 100 dove last year and3 quail.
1. Icetrey
2. mongorunner
3. Edcyclopedia
4. skybuster20ga
5. The Rev
6. rimjob rob
7. petrey10
8. millagerobert
9. catchemrob
10. Wlfdg
11. countryboy6990
12. Oneshot7
13. FLboy77
14. npaden

Every Year this upland bird contest comes up.
No One that is a advid bird hunter everparticipates
THEN PARTICIPATE!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

i am an avid birdhunter and I will be starting on monday...and be participating in this contest
Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No Upland hunting contest???

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

Somebody say ya or nay on the dogs. If nobody else is up for it, Ill have to drop it Ed
What is the deal on dogs? My dog isn't a bird dog. He flushes really well and I'm heading out on Monday.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wlfdg

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

Somebody say ya or nay on the dogs. If nobody else is up for it, Ill have to drop it Ed
What is the deal on dogs? My dog isn't a bird dog. He flushes really well and I'm heading out on Monday.
No harm boyz, I am just wondering if anyone has a dog that...
#1) Helps find downed birds?
#2) Points or flushes birds?
#3) If it's a pointer, does the dog's posture give an indication on the direction of the bird, so it allows you the time
to set-up in the best possible spot and get you ready on your safety?
#4) If the dog is a flusher, does the dog flush the birds toward you instead of away from you, that's a nice option - right?
#5) Does a dog go into the thickest cover for you, while you what comfortably in a field or trail for the signs from the dog, this surely adds to fatigue along with the anticipation (read my avitar, this is where I get it from)?

A little story... When I go to the local trap range once or twice a year to tune up before bird season. I get into position and look down at my gun held in the manner of how I hunt in the field, which is cradled in my arm with the barrel pointed towards the ground in a safe position. Now I don't know anyone at this range, and I always have a few shooters explain how "proper" form is for trap. You know, with the gun shouldered and pointed down the trap range direction "readied" for the clay to come from the trap house. So I like to explain that the birds I hunt, don't let me know their there, and how can I practice the closest possible "moment of surprise" by looking and knowing where they are? Well, unfortunately the surprise is not there, as I can plainly see the trap house, but by looking down at my gun and not knowing what direction the clay can come out from and/or the additional time it takes to bring your gun up to your should and focus on the target makes it a bit harder - aye?

Hopefully this shows a few of the benefit's of dog hunting verses stalking birds by foot?
* I simply brought it up for these reasons and really don't care, I am not picking an arguement,
just suggesting something that can effect the outcome differently on points etc...
Whatever everyone chooses is fine with me!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Well my screen name gives an indication of what kind of dog he is. He doesn't truly point. He just stops and starts to stalk. I encourage him to "get 'em!" They flush. I'll shoot. Hopefully they fall. He chases. I have to beat him to the downed bird or they are gone(gulp). I just love to hunt with my dog. My other sleddog is gun shy of anything louder than a .22.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

If you're looking for more participants, I'm game. sorry i'm a little late.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

well guys I couldn't sleep at all but its 530am here and I am on my way out the door to try and shoot some doves and geese!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

SIGNUPS CLOSED

Send me a pm if later interested