HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Stupid House Cats!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/243106-stupid-house-cats.html)

Phil from Maine 04-20-2008 04:55 AM

Stupid House Cats!!

I am very ticked off by a recent event that I believe was caused by some house cats..gggrrr..
I was at work the othed day and when i got home the wife told me she had some bad news for me. She told me all my pheasants were gone and some dead ones were still in the pen. I went out and investigated and found 4 in my pen dead. They had roost to sit on when ever danger approaches them and at night they would sit on them. At first I thought a fox but I do not think a fox would have tried to kill them all but rather break in and take one. Also with the roosts it couldn't get them. WhenI check into it further my nieghbors told me they were fine at 6 in the morning. That by 10 in the morning the ones left in the pen were killed already but never saw what had killed them. A lady a few houses up the road is over run by cats and they have been hanging around here all winter as well. To go with the 4 in the pen I could see where a rooster was dragged off. I took a walk up in the field up back and found another one a hen dead. I hope the rest have made it out of harms way. All I can say is I was very upset with this happening and have had a lot invested into it.. I wished I was home at the time but that was not the case. So in reality I may not be able to say it was house cats but it sure looks that way to me.[:@]

skybuster20ga 04-20-2008 08:41 AM

RE: Stupid House Cats!!

fishercat maybe??

JakeinTX 04-20-2008 12:20 PM

Thats a bummer deal. If you get more birds, place a couple of game cameras. It wont stop the cats, but you will know what is poking around and be able to better combat it.

Seif5034 04-20-2008 08:16 PM

i'm sorry to hear that. i'd be real mad if it happened to me

aram624 12-01-2009 03:00 AM

Cats are stupid. Not your run-of-the-mill dumb, not dim, not thick, but stupid. Eggplants and doorknobs beat them all hollow for intelligence. I have a toothpick with more cranial capacity than the average cat.

You might be confused here: I mean really stupid. Dumber than you’d be if you stuck your tongue on top of a Tesla coil to see if it was charged. Look, in case there’s any ambiguity left, let me be explicit: If an IQ could get as low as zero, cats would rate negative.

Every night when I come home from work, Ki’y runs up to my car to greet me. First mistake. I’ve almost run over her three times in the past week. She mewls a greeting and tries to jump into my lap as I’m getting out of the car. Second mistake. By the time she makes her jump, I’m already standing up and shutting the car door. I’ve almost caught her tail in the door twice now. So she rubs against me to express affection or hunger (same trope). Third mistake. I hate cat hair on my suit.

So we enter the house. She does her best to trip me as we walk up to the door. She has succeeded more than once. (And she expects me to feed her soon. Smart cat, eh?)

Once inside, she rushes straight to her bowl and howls. Her bowl is always full (I’m very good about that), and it’s always full of exactly the same thing. Last Christmas I bought a 20-lb bag of generic cat food. We have 15 pounds to go, and she knows it. There are no surprises here. I’ve discussed it with her, at great length, every night. But she acts surprised, disappointed, and hurt.
========================
babies and pregnancy
affordable family law attorney

Phil from Maine 12-01-2009 04:08 AM

Well there was no doubt about it being house cats that went feral.. I lost some more pheasants and chuckar partridge to them last year.. This year I decided to give up on raising game birds.. I did in fact live trapped 17 feral cats that went to the humane society that had to be put to sleep.. Plus a mother and four kittens that were able to get adopted.. Here is some of the proof after my wife took a pic while I was working..

GreatHunterWannabe 12-07-2009 05:17 PM

Good for you for trapping them and taking them in. They will just continue to reproduce and put stress on the resources. On the positive side of the coin, the cats will help reduce vermin (mice, etc) around your house.

rettedl 12-29-2009 05:35 PM

That is a real bummer. Did you find out how the cats were getting into your pen? I will be trying my hand at raising some quail and if it goes well then some pheasant too. I want to make the pen cat proof since there are several feral cats around our place too.

macdonjo 01-02-2010 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by aram624 (Post 3516041)
Cats are stupid. Not your run-of-the-mill dumb, not dim, not thick, but stupid. Eggplants and doorknobs beat them all hollow for intelligence. I have a toothpick with more cranial capacity than the average cat.

You might be confused here: I mean really stupid. Dumber than you’d be if you stuck your tongue on top of a Tesla coil to see if it was charged. Look, in case there’s any ambiguity left, let me be explicit: If an IQ could get as low as zero, cats would rate negative.

Every night when I come home from work, Ki’y runs up to my car to greet me. First mistake. I’ve almost run over her three times in the past week. She mewls a greeting and tries to jump into my lap as I’m getting out of the car. Second mistake. By the time she makes her jump, I’m already standing up and shutting the car door. I’ve almost caught her tail in the door twice now. So she rubs against me to express affection or hunger (same trope). Third mistake. I hate cat hair on my suit.

So we enter the house. She does her best to trip me as we walk up to the door. She has succeeded more than once. (And she expects me to feed her soon. Smart cat, eh?)

Once inside, she rushes straight to her bowl and howls. Her bowl is always full (I’m very good about that), and it’s always full of exactly the same thing. Last Christmas I bought a 20-lb bag of generic cat food. We have 15 pounds to go, and she knows it. There are no surprises here. I’ve discussed it with her, at great length, every night. But she acts surprised, disappointed, and hurt.
========================
babies and pregnancy
affordable family law attorney

I like how you copy it from: http://www.jeffrydwight.net/writing/catsarestupid.asp
He could sue you now, watch out.