Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First hunt

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First hunt

good looking dog!! if you know anyone who has a red and white female let me know!! Setter guys are a rare breed!! lol I cant wait to get out again, we are goin again this weekend. I am thinking about buying a bunch of quail to raise to save money!! lol
Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had some quail once but the climate is to hard on them up here. I ended up going with pheasants and chuckars but, I can't recall them very good..They do make for some decent training though. No I haven't seen any IrishRed and White Setters up here. I never saw any Irish Red Setters either though so I ended up flying mine in. I have bred 2 litters and that will be it from them. This has gotten a few scattered around this area. The farthest one is away is in Penn. and I still contact all of them once in a while to see how they are making out with them..Any ways good luck with your pup and do not worry about the tail coming up as he will bring it up after a while. It normally takes about 2 years for that to happen and by the looks of things yours could have it up in less time than that..
Old 03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I was going to go out again this weekend, but this nasty snow will halt that. Maybe next week. dog training permits are great!!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

How are you making out with your pup?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Live2Draw
That's a large setter you have there. Is it from Ryman/Hemlock lines?

Also, setters can be stubborn but no more than your usual hunting dog. I believe it has to do with their drive. It overwelms them at times. My setter has to chase things - even though she's afraid of them.

A little training goes along way with setters. You'd be surprise at what they can retain. But keep your commands short and firm and don't talk too much when training. Then praise like the Dickens.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

havnt gotten enough work done lately. Busy busy. trying to tackle his earmites. damnit!! lol
I have a quail, just to keep him sharp, I turn it loose in the house and let him find it. haha
he is actually from snowqueen??? i believe? I will check his papers.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Great pics....is there an age where it really is too late to train a dog to hunt with you? Is there a lot of truth in that old addage, 'can't teach an old dog new tricks?' I really want to train my 4yr old.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe you can teach a dog just about anything.. An older dog would need more time IMO as a young one is more eager to learn. But if your dog listens to you well he will learn with paitence on your part. Here is a pic of Rusty retreiving a ruffed grouse, it doesn't appear to be a normal way to hold a bird but..
He was never forced to retrieve and with his natural way of doing it is fine with me.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a great Pic man!! They always have that look to them!! So happy to do what they are doing!!
I think that any dog can be trained to do things. I agree, it just takes more time with older dogs.
As strange as it sounds, I think it has alot to do with trust/love. as long as your dog trusts you and feels like they are part of the pack, they will work for you.