Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training Material

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Default Training Material

I have a new GSP pup coming around April fools. What kind of training material do you guys use or recommend? Books? Videos?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Default RE: Training Material

If the dog is biting into the game I just learned a new but old trick. My grandfather (trainer for several years in the past) told me this to do to my pup, year old brittany.

Buy a little soft toy which is shaped like the game in a way and put push-pins or thumb tacks in it and the dog wont bite the toy too many times before learning not to chew on the dead game.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks for that. Anybody else. My ultimate goal with this pup is to be steady to wing-shot-fall
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM

You got your work cut out for you, unless you have trained bird dogs in the past. First of all how old will pup be. Most pups should not start formal training until 4-6 months old. these are the basic things you need for training a bird dog.

1. Checkcord
2. Birds (quail, pheasants, chuckar, pigeons)
3. A good size field (1 to 2 acres if not more)
4. Starter pistol (cap gun or a training pistol that fires 22 caliber blanks or 209 shotgun primers)
5. Alot of patience and headache medicine
6. Most importantly a bird dog (which you are getting)

Well those are the basics and there is still a lot more to learn than you can imagine. Hope you have fun and enjoy working pup.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 PM

I have done some training. Check cord and training collar work. Not to a finished dog though. My Brit is 1 year old last month. He was professionally trained for the most part. This one I plan to do on my own.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would get a video to help you out with your pup. They have several of them out there but, most are only the basics. Also if your Brit points that would be an asset to you on training the GPS, but remember to make it fun for the pup as well. I knowI trained my Irish Setters and they were not that hard to train so you should do alright as well.

Buy a little soft toy which is shaped like the game in a way and put push-pins or thumb tacks in it and the dog wont bite the toy too many times before learning not to chew on the dead game.
I think that this comment is a bit harsh but, to each thier own.. I also believe that if this is not done right that it very well could discourage your pup from retrieving anything as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntersiuc

If the dog is biting into the game I just learned a new but old trick. My grandfather (trainer for several years in the past) told me this to do to my pup, year old brittany.

Oh my God, the animal activist polices sirens are going.
Sometimes you just gotta be creative and I like it!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Elkhntr04

I have done some training. Check cord and training collar work. Not to a finished dog though. My Brit is 1 year old last month. He was professionally trained for the most part. This one I plan to do on my own.

A training collar or what most people like to call them e collar, are not used to train a dog it is used to enforce a known command. A check cord is onw of the most vital training tool you will need. The list I gave you earlier is just to start your training. To actually finished your dog, you will need other supplies and other training tricks.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 PM

I know what a e-collar is as well. I used one of those too. A training collar is something entirely different..
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

A dvd I used for training my setters is Training Your Pointing Dog by Scott Miller, it is for the walking bird dog hunters. I know that there is several out there and mostly what it does is give you the basics. Myself i have found it to be quite usefull though.

Quick Reply: Training Material

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.