Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training Material

Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Training Material

There are some very good books and DVDs out there. There are as many styles of training as there are trainers. The one thing that seems standard between them is go slow. Tech one command at a time make sure the dog has it. Make sure you stick to a regiment of training, better for you and the dog. Above all MAKE IT FUN FOR THE DOG. If you get to a point where the dog is making mistakes and you start to loose your cool STOP! Most of my training is done in the back yard so it is very controled. Come, heel and whoa are my big three.
Tools: Whistle, checkcord, E-collar, whoa post of some form, bird launcher. And I have to disagree with BKL Gundogs, the E-collar is a training tool if you know how to use it, most don't. I know a Lady that has a deaf setter and the pup was trained from day one on an E-collar and is one heck of a field trial/hunting dog. The one real use for me with an E-collar is a come back call.
Gselkhunter
Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Gun Dog by Richard Wolters
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MosesLakehunter

Gun Dog by Richard Wolters
+1
there are a bunch of good books and dvd's out there!!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 AM

Ok, I know what you mean by a training collar. But like I stated, the list above is to start your training to finish your dog you will need several more items. If you really want to know all of them e-mail me and I will enlighten you on what you need.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Typical Buck

Here are thebooks I've read:

I just finished John Falk's book Gun Dogs, Master Training Series. It has alot ofinformation but training material is limited. It talks about socialization, non-dog owners, vet care, etc. There is a training book written by him also that goes into more detail on training. Copyright date is 1997.

I started How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey. So far, the material iswritten for puppies less than 1 year of age. Ms. Bailey also comes from a versatile NAVDIA background so alot of the material is geared towards them. I'll make up my mind as I read more but a glance shows alot of 'conditioning', ie. pre-training with no pressure.

Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long. Long has a specific method which I've used in the past. His method is alot different than what most are used to. As an example, he teaches heel and woah while walking the dog. He doesn't use a woah post. He uses a cardboard tube capped at one end to 'bonk' the dog in the head for punishment. It doesn't hurt the dog but surprises him.

Lastly, The Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog, the Delmar Smith Method by Bill Tarant. This is the bible of modern training methods for pointing dogs. Can be terse but gives a very good foundation on training.

For DVDs, the only one I've seen is the Puppy Development Video I from Huntsmith (Ron & Rick Smith). Very good foundation video for pre-training. Shows puppies introduced to the methods for the first time.

At the very least, I would read Delmar Smith's book. I personally would never recommend a book which has a heavy handed training method. I currently have a couple books on order and will post on them as I finish reading them.